Chapter 21

Song: Memories by Maroon 5

Fatigue. Exhaustion. Naruto felt it all for the first time in his life.  It was nothing for the energetic blonde to sleep ten hours and then nap throughout the day.  Waking up early by the interruption to puke up whatever dinner he was able to keep down the day before, followed by dry heaving was a routine that his unborn children had already set in motion for him.  Then there were times during the day he would throw up from certain smells, or just vomit because that's what his body wanted to do.  So much for it being referred to as  "morning" sickness.

His hormones were swinging every emotional mood existent to nature mostly finding himself crying for no reason at all.  Crabbiness had taken on a new level and Itachi found his mate clinging to him every given moment and if he had to go into the office, Naruto would either beg to tag along, text him or call him on the hour.  Naruto had even moved some things into the office to keep himself occupied as he hung out while Itachi worked.  All in all the pregnancy symptoms were troublesome for the older Uchiha.

"Why do you need to go to that stupid conference?" Naruto whined sitting at the kitchen island finishing the last of the orange juice.  It was uncharacteristic for him to yen for something let alone someone but he couldn't help how his hormones were controlling his behavior making him feel selfish and not wanting his husband to leave. "Why can't Sasuke go instead?"

The seminar was being held in Switzerland but due to the type of liaison with this particular client it required him to make an appearance. "Naru, we've been over this."  Itachi explained, what seemed for the twentieth time, but remained calm.  He sat at the kitchen island across from his pudgy sunshine, fixated on the beautiful sapphires that captivated him at every gaze.  Taking a sip of the steaming cup of joe, "Adank Corporate makes up a quarter of the industry. As CEO I have to be present to analyze the five year indentures," purposely maintaining his tone steady and kind, careful not to induce a crying fit.

....but yet once again the water works began. 

"That's why there's internet technology! FaceTime or Zoom!"

"Love, it's not the same."

"Love my foot! You don't love me!" Tears streamed down tan cheeks, leaving stains over the fainted scars.  Itachi got up and walked to the other side of the island to sit beside him, cradling him in his arms and nuzzling his nose into the soft strands whilst placing a hand over the home of his heirs. 

"You know that's not true," he whispered.

"It is!" Naruto pouted, sailing into another crying episode. "If you loved us, you wouldn't leave us alone!"

Itachi was at his wits end.  His husband was a complete mess and all of the information that he had read on male pregnancy along with the doctor's translation of what to expect was nothing compared to what he's been enduring these past weeks.  Naruto's hormones would soar sporadically and at times the ligament pain would make him ill-tempered.  The cravings for specific foods were increasing, disturbing their sleep pattern to ambush the refrigerator for a coaction that sometimes made Itachi look away. Then the pregnant lad constantly pined for the older man, needing to be in his air space so much that there were times that Itachi didn't know what to do except stay home with him, or have his in-laws come over to help out.  He finally called their obstetrician yesterday and asked if there was anything that could be given to alleviate the symptoms, but unfortunately she explained that this was just the beginning and the only suggestions she could offer was to intensify the yoga routine and have him drink more tea. 

"I'm not leaving you alone.  Papa is staying with you."  The Uchiha had fallen into a comfort zone of referring to his in-laws as if they were his own parents.