14. that's when i want you

CHAPTER FOURTEENimessage and narrative

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
imessage and narrative

caitlin!!

caitlin!!
we're done so i'm heading
your way soon

lily :))
okayyy
lily :))
how much running did bluder and j
make you do?

caitlin!!
three suicides so
not too much i guess
caitlin!!
thought it would be worse

lily :))
i would literally collapse
halfway into the first one

caitlin!!
that's because you don't
like running

lily :))
no need to call me out

caitlin!!
okay okay
caitlin!!
i'm gonna drive now

lily :))
okay, see you soon!!

Ever since I moved into this apartment, most of the girls on the team have never knocked once before coming inside. If they know the door is unlocked, they come right in. Even then, Monika and Caitlin each have a spare key that the girls borrow from time to time.

I know it's Caitlin when I hear her footsteps. They have a familiarity to them. I've memorized them on every surface, the same way I know Monika's and Alina's anywhere as well.

"Cait?" I called out with a soft smile on my face.

"Hi, Lils, I have coffee," she says, stepping into my living area where I'm curled up on the couch. August is on the back of the couch, behind my head, and Ziggy is laying next to me.

"Caramel macchiato?" I ask, glancing up at the brunette who looked as if she was nervous.

She eyes me a little bit, "How could I forget?" she tells me, passing me the cup of coffee. She sits down beside me, looking worn out and tired from practice.

"So... You wanna talk about what happened earlier?" I ask with a soft smile.

She nods a bit, "Then we should probably finish the homework, right?" Caitlin asks. Finals are coming up, so we've all been studying and doing homework nonstop.

"Of course..." I say, taking a sip of my coffee, "I think you were going to ask me something."

She leans back on the couch, her eyes on me as she smiles. Her hand lands on my forearm gently. I watch as she takes a deep breath, "Do you wanna go on a date with me? Sometime after the Northern Iowa game?"