49. double vision in rose blush

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE.
narrative
lily's pov

march 23, 2023: seattle, washington
climate pledge arena

Media days are probably some of the most boring days if you're not a basketball player or a coach. I had been hanging around all day because Caitlin wanted me to come (she didn't want me at the hotel alone). Most of the time, I've been standing around the coaches or with the boys on the manager staff. Isaac and Cale had been keeping me a lot of company.

There had been a small pounding in my head for at least half an hour. Normally, I didn't get very many headaches. I was also abnormally cold while having a hoodie and sweats on. I just didn't feel well.

I mostly brushed it off, watching as the girls practiced once media was mostly done. I'd already pulled up the Uber app, ready to request a ride when I needed to. Caitlin comes by the bench, getting a drink with Jada close behind her.

"Hi, baby," she says as I hand her the Gatorade I bought this morning. I can't find Jada's water in time and she grabs hers.

I give Caitlin a small smile, "Hi, love," I say, rubbing my temple a little.

"What's up? Are you okay?" she asks, concern lacing her voice.

I nod, "Yeah, I just have a headache. I think I'm gonna go to the hotel and lay down," I tell her as I stand up.

She caps her Gatorade, setting down the bottle. Caitlin looks around before hugging me, "Are you getting an Uber?" she asks and I nod again. I feel her kiss my head quickly, "Text me when you get to the hotel, okay? We'll be done soon, Mon and I will be there to check in on you."

"Okay," I say softly. I look up at her, knowing I can't kiss her here though there are literally no cameras in the gym, "I love you."

"I love you too," she says, squeezing me tightly before letting me walk through the tunnels of the arena to get to the exit, requesting an Uber as I walk.

I feel very light headed after straightening up which concerns me just a bit and I contemplate calling for Cait's help. It subsides as I lean against the building, waiting on the car. I look through the small purse on my shoulder, finding a bottle of Ibuprofen that luckily has two left, but that's it.

I pop the pills into my mouth, swallowing them dry as a car pulls up to Climate Pledge Arena. The driver is a woman and I check my app which says that my Uber is where it's supposed to be.

I give the woman—her name is Nessa—a smile as I slide into the backseat of the car, telling her the address to the hotel. It doesn't take long to get there and I thank her as I get out of the car, walking into the hotel.

Getting in the elevator, I pull out the room key. I'm sharing with Caitlin and Monika. The only thing on my mind is getting into my bed and falling asleep, I am so exhausted.

I pull out my phone, opening Caitlin's contact when I get to the room. I know she won't see it right away, but she will when they're all done with practice.

lily :)
just got to the room,
see you when you're done
with practice <3

I slip my shoes off, pulling the blankets back as I climb into bed. The headache has progressively gotten worse, the Ibuprofen taking its sweet ass time to kick in.

I hit the switch for the lights on the wall next to my bed and once they're off, I close my eyes and try to fall asleep.

It didn't take long to fall asleep. The ringer on my phone was turned off and it was dark except for a few streaks of sunlight from the curtains. The sleep didn't last long when I heard the door open. I stayed still, covering my head with the blanket.

I stirred a bit, rolling onto my side to see Cait standing at the edge of the bed, staring at me with this look I couldn't decide, "Baby, you okay?" she asks, pushing a few strands of hair out of my face, leaning over the bed to reach me.

"My head still hurts. I just don't feel well," I say, shaking my head. She continues to stare, almost admiring me even though I definitely look like shit.

She feels my forehead and my cheeks, "No fever. Did you take anything?"

I nod, "I finished off the Ibuprofen in my purse."

She sighs, checking her phone, "It's one. We're going to dinner later, are you wanting to go if you're feeling better?"

"Yeah," I say softly, hoping I can fall back asleep. Caitlin slips into bed beside me, pulling me into her body, holding me close. I feel safe when I'm with her, like I couldn't care about anything else but the two of us.

It doesn't take long for me to fall back asleep, feeling better in my girlfriend's arms. I feel her lips graze the top of my head and hear her whisper "I love you" so sweetly as I drift off. I am so in love with her.

authors note
sick trope 😮‍💨😮‍💨