37. come back, be here

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

narrative

semifinals
march 4, 2023: iowa v. maryland
final score: 89-84, iowa wins
target center

"Great job, love," I tell Caitlin, wrapping my arms around her waist in the now empty locker room, her arms enclose my shoulders. My family had already left and started to head home. I told them Caitlin and I would be behind them after we spoke to her parents and brothers.

She smiles, leaning her head down closer to mine, waiting for me to close the gap. A few soft chuckles escape my lips as I do what she wants me to do: kiss her. One of her hands moves to my cheek as I pull her closer to me by her waist.

After a few seconds, I pull away, shaking my head with a smile, "Your family is waiting for us," I remind her as she puts her necklace back on.

"I know, I know," she says. I walk toward the door as she secures her necklace in place. She quickly catches up to me, reaching my spot before I step out of the locker room.

We walk out of the building next to each other, meeting up with her parents and brothers outside. Her mother, Anne, and younger brother, Colin, have to go back to Iowa. Colin has a basketball banquet tomorrow, but her dad, Brent, and older brother, Blake, are both staying for the championship tomorrow.

Caitlin hugs her family and I can't help but smile as they congratulate her on her game. Anne is the first to pull me in for a hug, arms around my shoulders as she kisses my head, "It's so good to see you again, Honey," she says, rubbing my back. I know for a fact my face lights up.

Her father gives me a hug next before Blake and Colin do as well. It's good to see them all. They were here yesterday too, but I didn't get to talk to them at all, Caitlin did though.

"What are your intentions with my sister?" Colin says, narrowing his eyes at me in a joking manner.

Caitlin tilts her head at her younger brother who continues to stare at me, trying to the best of his abilities to not let a smile break out on his face. Soon enough, he fails, letting me know he's just kidding.

I smile at him, "Only good intentions over here, Colin."

He gives me a thumbs up, holding out his knuckles to me. I hit my fist against his, the two of us letting our hands fall to our sides.

The six of us talk for a little bit, mostly about the game and the championship tomorrow, before Caitlin's family decides to get going. Anne and Colin are leaving early tomorrow to get back to Des Moines in time.

Caitlin and I hug them all again, walking our separate ways to our cars. Caitlin places her bag in the backseat, "Do you want me to drive?" she asks, turning around to me.

As comfortable as I am driving in Minneapolis and Watertown, I give her my keys anyway. She drove last night as well, so it doesn't bother me.

I open the driver's side door for her. Caitlin shakes her head with a chuckle as she slides into the seat and I close the door once she's inside, making my way to the passenger side.

Caitlin reaches over the center console, opening my door from the inside, pushing it open as best she can. I sit in the seat and by the time I close the door, she's shifted my car into drive, foot on the brake, and placed her hand on my thigh, her thumb brushing along the skin just above my kneecap through a rip in my jeans.

There's no cars around us, most people having already left so she just pulls through a few parking spots to get out of the arena's parking lot.

I press my hand to hers, turning her hand over to trace shapes gently onto her palm. We talk a little bit about the championship tomorrow. The girls are playing Ohio State. Caitlin felt good about it. They beat the Ohio State team back in January in Columbus and Caitlin had a triple double that game. No matter what, the girls were going to do good tomorrow, win or lose.

When we get to my mom's, I see Monika is already at home across the street. Caitlin beats me to her bag tonight. I've carried it inside the past two nights and now, she doesn't get to complain that I'm carrying it.

"Loser," Caitlin mumbles teasingly as she kisses my head, the two of us walking into the house side by side. I smile at her, locking the front door behind us when we walk inside.

Alina is at her house—not too far away from here—with her boyfriend, Daniel. She's been with him for nearly two years now, just having recently moved in with him. Cole was probably with a few friends and would be home later.

"Mom?" I say, seeing the kitchen light on. Caitlin follows me as I walk toward the room.

"In the kitchen, babe!" Mom calls back before we reach the room. When we step into the kitchen, I see her preparing overnight oats for breakfast tomorrow. She makes them because they're easy, and she has a few extras in case her kids—not just Cole, Alina, and I—want any to eat. I'm sure Caitlin will eat some in the morning.

She smiles at Caitlin and I as she places three jars in the fridge, "You two getting ready to go to bed?" she questions.

I look back at Caitlin who is rubbing her eyes, acting like she's not tired. I turn back to my mom and nod, "Yeah, probably. I didn't know if you were up or not."

"Thought I would make something you two can take on the go tomorrow morning," she explains. "I was waiting until you two got in safely to go to bed," Mom adds.

I give her a hug and she kisses my temple gently. Caitlin squeezes her in a hug after me, leaning down to let her head rest on my mom's shoulder. Mom rubs Caitlin's back as she presses her lips to the side of my girlfriend's head. Caitlin pulls away after a few seconds and mom squeezes her hands gently.

"Goodnight, girls. I love you," she says as I reach for Caitlin's hand.

"Love you too, mom," I reply, turning to step out of the kitchen.

Caitlin's thumb brushes my knuckles, "Goodnight, Jess! Love you!" she calls in the direction of the kitchen as we make our way to my bedroom.

Cait goes to the bathroom to brush her hair out. While she's gone, I change out of my Iowa Hawkeyes gear and jeans, slipping on grey sweats and a tank top. I turn the lamp on my bedside table on, turning the big light off.

Still waiting on Caitlin, I lay down, scrolling through my phone, letting McKenna know that Caitlin, Monika, and I all got home safe since she'd want to know.

When she steps in my room, Caitlin is wearing black athletic shorts and an Iowa Hawkeyes t-shirt. Almost immediately, she makes her way over to me, laying down beside me. Her arms wrap around my waist as she buries her head in the crook of my neck.

I put my phone down, wrapping one of my arms around her shoulders. Gently, I press a kiss to her forehead.

"Are you tired?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

Her hand slips under my tank top, resting on my back. Caitlin doesn't lift her head, nodding into my neck, "mhm," she hums. I turn the lamp on my table off, leaving my room in darkness.

"Go to bed, baby," I say softly, running my fingers through her hair. It isn't long before I hear soft snores coming from Caitlin. She only celebrated a little bit with her teammates after the game before the rest of the team went to the hotel. I didn't think she was so tired.

I continue to run my fingers through her hair before I drift off to my own sleep.

author speaks
i love them !!