3. 𝐒𝐔𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐒

●○●○●○●○●○●

Ethan decided to spend the night in Mari's dorm since her roommate wasn't going to be there. They had already spent the night together once before, but both of them fell asleep five minutes after getting into her room.

Ethan fell asleep on the floor and Mari fell asleep at the foot of her bed. They both woke up with massive backaches from not sleeping on pillows.

"So, maybe this time let's not fall asleep with no pillows." Mari suggested.

"Most definitely." Ethan agreed.

Ethan set a small book bag in the corner of her room and laid on her bed, "Wow, getting comfortable already." She joked.

"You know it."

Mari laid down next to him and he looked at her, sitting up.

"Did your mom really call you?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah- wait, you think i'm Ghostface?" She frowned.

Ethan looked down and took a deep breath, "I wanted to know because- I- you know what, never mind."

"Well, now you have to tell me Mr. Landry. I won't leave you alone if you don't." She sat up with him.

"I wouldn't mind that."

"Just tell me!" She laughed.

"I'm Ghostface, and so is Quinn. And Detective Bailey..." Ethan admitted.

That seemed to have caught Mari off guard because her jaw dropped, "Really?"

"Yeah, wait- you're not mad?" He looked at her. Of course Mari wasn't mad, she kind of expected it from Quinn and Detective Bailey. But Ethan?

"No. tell me more, i'm intrigued."

Ethan then started explaining how Quinn was his sister and Detective Bailey was his dad. It all made sense.

"Holy shit, why am I telling you this? You could go and snitch!" Ethan realized.

"Calm down, I wouldn't do that." Mari said.

"Our little secret." The two stared at each other for what seemed like forever. Ethan looked at her lips before looking away.

"I-I'm sorry." He apologized. Mari looked away too, grabbing the remote. She turned the tv on, forgetting about the events that just happened.

●○●○●○●○●○●

"Okay, nerds, listen up!" Mindy stood in front of the group. Mari sat between Tara and Ethan.

"As terrifying as this all is, I'm actually glad I get a chance to redeem myself for not calling the killers last time. Yep, it's fine." She fixed her shirt.

"Okay, the way I see it, someone is out to make a sequel to the requel." Mindy announced.

Mari had no idea what a requel was but she pretended that she did. She looked up at Ethan and he looked down at her. They both shrugged, looking back at Mindy.

"Um, what's a requel?" Anika asked.

"You're beautiful, sweetie. Let's hold questions to the end." Mindy pointed at her.

"Stab 1 took place in Woodsboro, Stab 2 took place in college." Sam spoke up.

"So y'all think that the killer is trying to copy the movies?" Mari asked.

"That is one possibility. Heroes now in college: check, suspicious new characters brought in to round out the suspect list and/or body count: check, check and check." Mindy said.

Ethan looked around, nervously, "I don't like this."

"But it can't just be about Stab 2." Mindy continued,

"Why not?"

"It would make sense if this were just a sequel. But we're not in a sequel, because nobody just makes sequels anymore."

No one seemed to be understanding so Mindy just said it, "We're in a franchise!"

"Huh." Mari muttered in confusion.

"And there are certain rules to a continuing franchise. Rule one: Everything is bigger than last time. Bigger budget, bigger cast, bigger body count, longer chases, shoot-outs, beheadings. You got to top what came back before to keep people coming back." Mindy said.

Mari rolled her eyes, throwing her head back. Ethan put his hand behind her head so she didn't hit it on the bench.

"Beheadings?"

"Beheadings."

Chad sighed, "Rule two: Whatever happened last time, except the opposite. Franchise only survive by subverting expectations." Mindy continued. Mari had to admit, this was tiring and confusing.

She closed her eyes, not wanting to listen to anything else Mindy had to say. Marianna Andrews was kind of slow so when you're throwing information about killings at her like this, it's going to take her a moment to fully understand.

"Any of us could go at any time, especially Sam and Tara." Mindy sighed.

"W-wait, any of us? Does- a- am I in the friend group?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah." Mari answered, looking at him.

"Am I, like, one of the targets?" Ethan frowned.

"Mm-hmm." Mari nodded.

"Am I gonna die a virgin?"

Everyone looked around awkwardly and didn't say anything. Mari smirked, looking at him. She was thinking dirty thoughts right now.

"That was a weird overshare. But it brings us to our current suspects: Ethan. The shy, dorky guy who no one suspects because he's so shy and dorky." Mindy stated, walking up to Mari and Ethan.

"And then we have, Marianna. Now how exactly did she get here? No one knows, she just popped up one day. Never trust those type of people."

"Wait- wh- what? I'm on the suspects list because I helped Sam and Tara move in?" Mari was shocked. Or, at least she acted shocked.

Mindy continued listing the people who were on her suspect list.