1. August

COOKING breakfast is the only thing that makes sense to me in the morning. That and the decent cup of coffee that is a must.

Flipping the pancakes in the pan I make sure they're golden on each side before plating them along side the sausage.

"Momma, I'm still tired." Illias mumbles—rubbing his eyes and clinging to my leg.

"I know baby but we have to get ready for school. Don't you want to see your teachers?"

"Daddy."

Him too. "Come, we'll eat breakfast and then the faster you get dressed the faster you can see him."

I picked him up and sat him on one of the stools at the island beside Inaaya who's head is laying on the counter. Giving him his plate, I repeatedly kissed my daughter until she's awake and I hear her cute giggles. "Morning sweets."

"Morning mommy." 

"Can I do your hair today? I'll make it so pretty."

She nods drenching her pancakes in syrup. Kissing the back of her head I go into the living room and look over the coach smiling at Isais. "My beautiful boy...can you come and eat for me? It's pancakes, your favorite."

I lean down letting his hand grace my cheek. Saias gently gives me a kiss like he does every morning. "I love you." I tell him.

"love you." He whispers so softly if you weren't listening you wouldn't hear it. But I'm always listening, for him I'll always listen. He gets up from the couch not wanting my help until it's time to get up on the stool.

"One, two three." And he's seated. Cut up pancakes and sausage with only a drizzle of syrup.

I pulled the milk from the fridge and filled each of their cups halfway.

"It smells good down here. What's for breakfast?" June yawns scratching her head.

I give my kids their milk and began cleaning up any mess I made while cooking.

"Oh come on, don't tell me you're ignoring me again. August I said I was sorry."

"You know how I feel about alcohol. I told you that was my only rule— that you don't show up on my..." I lowered my voice. "Fucking doorstep drunk off your ass and yet here we are."

"You have to understand the environment I work in. What stripper doesn't get drunk?!" She exclaims.

I cut my eyes at her and shake my head. "I'm not kidding. That was your last time, next time it happens you'll be packaging your bags for somewhere else because I'm not dealing with your shit. I have three kids, not four."

My deadbeat father died in a car accident four years ago. Normally you leave behind some money or some goddamn property but no, I got stuck with June. My half sister. After she showed up at my front porch my life changed, drastically. Not only was I trying to figure out where she was meant to be in my life but my relationship was starting to strain.

Not everything you think is going to happen always goes as planned.

"If you're hungry there are extra pancakes in the oven."

"Thank you, I love you so much." She smiles, skipping towards the oven.

"Whatever you say."

~~~

Getting out of the car I pull my shades over my eyes. Opening the back door the kids unbuckle themselves from their booster seats. "Good job, I'm proud of you guys." I tell them as I helped Inaaya down from the car. I'm teaching them how to unbuckle their seat belts just incase of emergency. They catch on quick.