23. August

I parked my car along the road in front of my now unowned house. There were movers taking up the driveway so I didn't want to be in their way. Undoing my seatbelt I exited the car as I see my sister come running out of the house.

Jogging up the driveway I try and get to her before she can tackle the poor mover guy to the ground. "June!"

"Where are you going with my shit, bring that back here!" She screamed at him. He looked frightened.

"June, wait." I grab ahold of her arm and she starts thrashing to get to him. I send him an apologetic look as he rushes past with a box full of shit. We fall to the ground and I catch her by her legs— June trying the crawl her way through the yard.

"Let me go, they're robbing us!"

"No, they aren't!" I yelled back. "They're movers, I paid them to come!"

"No stop, get off of me!"

Having yet to stop clawing at the grass I climb up-top of her and flip her over so she wasn't face down. I grab ahold of her arms pinning them down at her sides. "June you can't attack them they're here to do their jobs."

"N-no they aren't. What are you talking about?" She screams at me thrashing her head side to side while kicking her legs. The men look at us as if we were crazy and admittedly we probably looked it.

"Listen to me! I'm selling the house, we can't stay here anymore!"

"You're lying, get the fuck off of me!"

I groaned regretting not having told her earlier. "You have to calm down before the neighbors call the cops." I told her already seeing the nosy older lady sticking her head out her door. She was a bitch at times, one who didn't know how to mind her business.

"W-why would you— why, why, why! Why would you do this?!" I froze as June stopped jerking her body around and started sobbing. Her light brown eyes were full of tears and her cries were loud.

I let her arms go. "Okay—."

"Why would you do this?!" She asked again. "I— oh my god, fuck why!"

I didn't understand why she was crying. It's not like I was leaving her homeless— of course not that. "June, I brought you an apartment it's going to be okay." I told her hoping that would ease her mind. Instead she stared sobbing harder and eventually pushed me off of her and onto the ground. I fell on my ass my hands providing leverage from the fall. Growing upset I glared at her. "What the fuck is your problem?!"

June looked at me with tears streaming down her cheeks her mascara running as well. "You're so selfish." She said, her voice shaky and torn. "Why would you do this?"

"It's just a house June." I tried to reason.

"It's not just a house." She yells. "It may be that to you but it's not to me... for the past five years this is the only place that's felt like home and you just want to take that away from me!"

My eyes softened. I didn't know she'd feel this way about it, I didn't think she'd react at all. The decision to sell just came about last night but I wasn't holding onto this house like she clearly was. Of course I loved it, it was the first thing that became mine after my breakup and it was a home for me and my kids for a long while.

I have a new home now, I didn't see a need to keep this one as well. Maybe I should have thought or took into consideration how she might feel, maybe I should have included her in on the decision but I just didn't know she'd care this much.

"You are leaving me— you are leaving and I am happy for you. I am happy because I want my niece and nephews to have their father and I want you to have your husband, I want you to be happy Mercy. I want all those great things for you but fuck this was the last piece, the only thing I thought I could hold onto... I don't want to be selfish but please don't do this. I am begging you, please."