Chapter 14 - Line of Succession to the British Throne (2019)

Succession to the British throne is determined by descent, sex, legitimacy, and religion. Under common law, the Crown is inherited by a sovereign's children or by a childless sovereign's nearest collateral line. The Bill of Rights 1689 and the Act of Settlement 1701 restrict succession to the throne to the legitimate Protestant descendants of Sophia of Hanover who are in "communion with the Church of England". Spouses of Catholics were disqualified from 1689 until the law was amended in 2015. Protestant descendants of those excluded for being Roman Catholics are eligible.

The United Kingdom is one of the Commonwealth realms, sovereign states that share the same person as a monarch and the same order of succession. In 2011, the prime ministers of the then-16 realms agreed unanimously to amend the rules of succession. Male-preference primogeniture was abandoned, meaning that males born after 28 October 2011 no longer precede females in line, and the ban on marriages to Catholics was lifted. The monarch still needs to be in communion with the Church of England. After the necessary legislation had been enacted by each realm's constitution, the changes took effect on 26 March 2015.

 After the necessary legislation had been enacted by each realm's constitution, the changes took effect on 26 March 2015

1º) Charles Prince of Wales

2º) Prince William, Duke of Cambridge

3º) Princess Helena of Cambridge

4º) Prince George of Cambridge

5º) Princess Charlotte of Cambridge

6º) Prince Louis of Cambridge

7º) Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex

8º) Master Archie Harrison Mountbatten - Windsor

9º) Prince Andrew, Duke of York

10º) Princess Beatrice of York

11º) Princess Eugenie of York

12º) Prince Edward, Count of Essex

13º) James, Viscount Severn

14º) Lady Loiuse of Windsor 

15º) Princess Royal Anne

16º) Peter Philips

17º) Savannah Philips

18º) Isla Philips

19º) Zara Tindall

20º) Mia Tindall

21º) Lena Tindall