Chapter 20

"Ok tweety just focus on breathing," Robin said trying to get my to calm down. My eyes were a flaming red while my nails and teath were sharpened to points.

"I can't breath," I growled out practically shaking where I sat on the ground my hands and knees.

We were in a wear house and it was the first time I had seen joker since the accident. You could say I lost it, ok so maybe I went ballistic. All my senses were in over load as my sights locked on him earlier. The next second I was standing in front of him delivering a nice hit to his pale face. The force of it sent him careening back into a wall knocking him out instantly. His hench men which I could tell were new seeing as I had killed all the others stepped back in fear before fleeing. I could smell the terror on them and I knew they had heard about me and what I had done to his past group of lackeys.

Looking over I saw a group of hostages tied up in the corner looking at me. I was used to the stares. I was a hero after all, but these were different. These were ones that screamed stay away from me. I caught their scents and they stunk with fear, fear of me.

My eyes widened a fraction before I made a mad dash to get outside away from all of their fearful looks.

That where I was now. Sitting on the cold hard ground not able to shift back. Tears ran down my face as I looked at Robin who had followed me out leaving Batman to take care of the hostages.

"Tweety," he whispered as he looked down at my shaking frame.

"They were afraid of me, they think I'm a monster too," I said a sob breaking my voice at the end. "I didn't ask for this, I didn't ask for any of it," the words were sobbed out as I curled my knees up wrapping my arms around them.

"Shh, I know you didn't," Dick said dropping to the ground next to me. Wrapping his arms around me he easily brought me to his chest. "Your not a monster, you saved them and sent those henchmen running. I don't know about you but that made our job a heck of a lot easier tonight. Plus we have school tomorrow morning and I'd rather not be out here fighting the joker till who knows what time," a short laugh left my lips as I felt my claws slowly slip away in my normal manicured finger tips.

"Was that a laugh I heard," Robin said with a joking aw. "See tweety bird monsters don't laugh," another giggle left me as he tickled my sides lightly for a second. The fangs that protruded from my mouth were gone now, all that was left were the eyes.

"Ah so you wanna play hard ball hu? I can do this," he said looking at my still red eyes. "Ok listen to this one, so Wonderwomen and Catwomen walk into a bar-" I was already laughing before he could get the rest of the joke out. I can't say that their was any other person in the world that knew me as well as he did. He always said exactly what I needed to hear or do what I needed to be done. I didn't need to question why I was in love with him, he was everything I needed and wanted.

After I had calmed he took my face in his hands making my breath catch as he looked me over. "There now you can see those baby blues, now what monster is this beautiful?" He said with a crooked grin that made me blush and avert my eyes.

"So happiness is your trigger," he stated after releasing me from his soft hold.

"I guess but it's so hard to think of anything happy when I feel so much anger and hate when I shift. It's like all the pain and anguish I've ever felt surface in your mind and it drives me to..well you know what I've done,"
There was a silence around us as my eyes glazed over remembering the moments from three months ago where I killed 15 people.

"Hey I have an idea," Dick said breaking our silence.

"What?" I whispered out still staring up at the night sky. In Gotham there were no stars, just city lights that shined to bright.

"What makes you happy?" He questioned looking up at the sky with me.

"Lots of things make me happy," I said putting my head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arm around me.

"Ya but what things make you happy right when you think of them, that no matter what the thought of it could make a smile come to your face," his voice flowed through the night so smoothly that it left me in a slight trance.

"You," I said almost instantly making my eyes go wide. Though I couldn't see it the smile on his face was so bright it could have blinded someone.

"Me?" He said breathlessly.

"...ya," I said nodding making sure he still couldn't see my face I tucked it into his chest.

"Then think of me when your angry and maybe it will help you not shift, and if you do end up shifting maybe think of a happy memory,"

"I can do that,"

"Good," he said kissing the top of my head. Standing he stuck his hand out for me and hauled me to my feet. "Come on let's see if bats needs our help," nodding I followed him into the wear house. Looking around I saw the hostages were all free of their restraints looking around.

"It's her," I heard a whisper take over their group as all of their talking hushed. My head snapped in their direction as I saw them all stare at me with unreadable expressions. My face contorted in confusion as I looked them over.

"Thank you," a women sobbed out running forward embracing me in her arms shocking me. "You saved us, thank you so much,"

I looking over he shoulder at robin who had a large smile on his face giving me a thumbs up. Batman stood behind him a trace of a grin on his lip.

Returning the women's embrace for a moment she finally released me.

"Your welcome," I said softly while I looked at the rest of the hostages who stared at me with acceptance I haven't even given to myself.

"Tweety," that was all the signal I needed to know that the cops were here and we were leaving now.

Looking at the small group I nodded at them before walking out behind The boys.

We silently got into the Batmobile and started our ride back to the cave.

"You know Charlie I was really hoping that I could at least get a few hits in with the joker," Bruce said a small joking smile on his lips making me match it.

"Next time I'll take a little heat off," I said with a wicked grin. "Besides all I need is to think of happy thoughts and I think I can control what ever he did to me," I glanced over at Dick who beamed back at me. This could work, what ever he had done to me. I wouldn't go so far as to say what he did was a gift but if I could really control it then maybe it could have a silver lining.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I know it's been like a few months since I've updated and that's because I really thought I was done writing all my books, but it made me feel kinda sick to leave these books unfinished so I'm back at it again.

-comment-

-vote-

-charlierose-