Chapter Seventeen - Alvaryn

Muscles still sore from this morning I walk the shelves of the library setting books back into the place. I had been building up a selection of them and they were taking up too much space in my rooms.

Even the familiar smell of the library helped settle me. After Demwyn's questions this morning about Daella and the selection it was something I had been thinking about all morning.

The selection was getting closer and to be honest I hadn't been taking it seriously, or giving it any active consideration, other than the fact that I didn't want to be forced to pick a wife at all.

Shelving the last book I let out a heavy breath wanting to stay here all day and forget the world outside for a few more hours. But I couldn't hide from the selection forever.

I make my way out of the library, ready to leave its familiar scent and feeling, I open the door and catch Daella before she walks into me, hands on her arms.

She looks up at me, eyes wide, she is wrapped in fear and breathing heavily like she has been running from something or someone.

"Are you alright?" I ask letting go of her arms and taking a step back as he stand in the doorway.

She nods forcing a pained smile and curtsies. "Sorry for getting in your way." She mumbles quietly before shuffling around me and walking into the library, sitting herself down in one of the armchairs near the fireplace.

She sits, staring at nothing, eyes wide and vacant as she leans forward, hands gripping her dress on her knees.

There is clearly something wrong with her. Was she hiding from someone? I decide to sit in the chair opposite her and watch her.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I ask after a moment of silence.

She looks up at me like she didn't notice I was still here and nods. "Yes, I am alright, thank you for your concern."

"This is the second time I've found you hiding in the library for some kind of refuge," I say softly, her vacant eyes focussing on me. I think back to our conversation earlier. "I understand the situation your in is something you're struggling with, but if someone is hurting you or threatening you then you should tell me."

Her eyes widen, fear and hesitation written clearly on her face, she shakes her head subtly.

"There isn't anything you need to concern yourself with, I'm not being harmed. Sometimes I prefer the library to my own rooms, I was just startled by something on my way here." She almost whispers and stares at her knees, releasing her grip on her skirts and smoothing down the fabric. My magic flares sending a flicker of pain, she is only telling a half truth. I only nod and continues watching her as she slows her breathing.

"You were leaving, you don't have to stay." She says softly after another long moment of silence.

"I know." I reply calmly.

"Why are you still watching me?" She asks looking up at me.

"Just waiting." I answer.

"Waiting for what?"

"Waiting for you to tell me the truth."

"I did."

"You told me a half-truth. You told me the reason you were so scared was because something startled you on the way here, although there is a severe difference between being startled and being terrified for one's life, which you were, and somewhat still are. I believe you aren't being harmed but there is definitely something else happening to you that is causing you to feel and react in this way, so I'm waiting until you tell me the truth." I explain slowly.