Chapter Forty Seven - Aeris

Finally the only person more arrogant than me was leaving. He had been here for three days and it was more than enough time.

I watch as he nods and smiles to my Father, laughing jovially at something he said before turning to my mother, taking her hand to kiss it, something that irked me to no end. Just keep your hands to yourself, was it too much to ask!

"Once again, thank you for the honour of visiting your Kingdom and allowing me to stay in your palace. I will be sure to send word of our discussions and hope the next time we meet much will have changed." He preens, his smugness making me nauseous just to have to witness.

"Cousins!" He smiles as he approaches the three of us, looking at each of us before turning back to Demwyn. "When I think back to the last time we saw each other I can't believe the change."

"Well we aren't trying to kill you this time around so yes, there is at least one change." Demwyn replies, arms folded over his chest. I don't particularly care for my eldest brother at this point in time but at least he could hold up his own imposing authority.

Arden laughs. "And yet here we all are, despite our past battles and near misses, changing the future for our Kingdoms. You three are also changing your futures for your Kingdom with choosing your wives from among the humans you treaty with." He says, glancing at each of us again.

"We understand you don't agree with our decision, but your opinion on the matter is irrelevant and unwanted." Alvaryn replies sounding like he too is at the end of his rope which is unusual for him. Must be all those late nights in the library.

Arden smiles, not shaken by Alvaryn's words one bit. "Of course cousin, you are your own Kingdom, the decisions you make are your own. While I may not agree with you I do not doubt this decision will be one that changes your futures forever."

I can't help but sense a threat in his words. He has always been a tricky manipulative bastard and the thought of him being anywhere near us for the Selection has my insides growing more unstable by the second.

"Well it's just our luck you won't be here for any of it." I say with my usual arrogant grin on my face. If he wanted to play the part of the two faced asshole cousin than I could do the same.

He smiles at me, giving his full attention to me and tilts his head slightly.

"I don't know if I would call it luck cousin, it will be a shame I won't be there to see how your Kingdom partakes in this Selection of yours. Still, I have done what I set out to do, now I will return home and speak of my time here."

Why do I have the sudden and violent urge to set his hair on fire every time he speaks? Every single one of his words, no matter how charming and kind always seem double edged, like a boast or a slur hidden among a false smile and a few complimentary words.

"Well then, safe travels cousin." I reply, trying my best to appear like I couldn't care less about his travels, only that he takes them so he isn't here anymore.

"Thank you, and to your brothers for welcoming me into your home, while we have not seen eye to eye for most of our lives, it's good to know that with the offer of peace you allowed me to visit."

"Believe me it wasn't my idea." Demwyn mutters loud enough for us to hear. Arden only smiles at the comment like it is an amusing joke he is a part of when in reality it couldn't be any further from.

"Well, it is my time to leave." He says with a nod at the three of us before turning and walking towards his waiting guards and his horse.

We watch as he mounts his horse and leaves the courtyard.

Mother and father leave first and the three of us are left standing, staring at the gate as it closes behind him.

"Thank the gods he is finally gone, maybe now I won't have so much trouble keeping my food down." I say out loud with a relieved sigh.

"I still don't trust a single word he said." Demwyn says, expression serious as he stares at the closed gate like he can still see Arden riding away.

"At least he's gone now." Alvaryn sighs.

"For now," I say dryly. "Who knows what all his new found ideas and offers will bring, he could be back in a matter of months bloated with arrogance and narcissism."

Alvaryn turns to me, a questioning look on his face.

"What? I read, I know words."

"Since when?" Demwyn laughs and I just stare back at him blankly.

"I'm still not talking to you." I say pointing my finger at him and turning towards the palace.

"Still? You're still holding onto your grudge? Your being a child Aeris, just let it go." He calls out after me and I stop, taking in a steadying breath. I know I couldn't say anything to let him know about Daella, he needed to believe he had won, at least until tomorrow. But I certainly wasn't ready to forgive him and calling me a child was just too much after having to keep my mouth shut for Arden's entire visit.

I turn around to look at him. "It is more than a grudge Demwyn, you betrayed Alvaryn and I by abusing your position as the eldest brother in a matter that had nothing to do with you. Believe what you want Demwyn, control and order about those under your command but never think for one second that you are in control over me."

"I wasn't trying to control you Aeris, I was preventing a very dangerous situation from happening. If you both had just listened to me in the beginning than I wouldn't have needed to step in like I did." He snaps back, still defending himself while undoubtedly being in the wrong.

"The very dangerous situation was entirely in your thick skulled head. You saw something from the outside with no knowledge of what was really happening and decided to step in and take matters into your own hands, assuming you knew what was best for everyone. It is supposed to be my decision who I marry, just as it is your decision who you marry and Alvaryn's decision who he marries. You in all your pig-headedness decided that you knew what was best for me and took control of a decision that is entirely mine!" I yell, feeling the heat rise in the pit of my stomach. "Don't stand there and pretend you were doing me a favour, like you were saving me from some great calamity. You may be my brother but you do not speak for me and you do not make decisions for me. And until you can finally see and understand what you did was wrong then yes, I will continue to not speak to you because the thought of having to listen to your self-entitled bullshit is not something I would wish on my worst enemy."

With that I turn and leave, needing to be as far away from him as possible. I was sick of him saying the same things over and over. He still couldn't see how at fault he was, he still believed that he was in the right and knowing what he had said and done to Daella and how he made her feel made me feel like I would combust into a wall of flame.

He was my brother, he would always be my brother, but knowing he hurt Daella was not something I could accept.

It was at times like these that I regret giving up alcohol.

Only Daella made it all worth it.