Chapter Forty Six - Daella

"Good afternoon my love," Alvaryn says, startling me as he kisses me on the cheek from behind.

"Hello," I smile as he takes his seat beside me under the large tree in the centre of the atrium. He leans in, kissing me softly and I feel my body melt into him. He pulls away too soon and notices the book in my hands.

"I hope I'm not interrupting a good chapter."

I shake my head. "No, nothing too exciting happening at the moment. Besides you are never an unwanted interruption."

"Well that's good to know. You looked beautiful last night by the way, it was quite the challenge to stay away from you all night." He smiles, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

"Thank you."

"Something is wrong." He says suddenly, studying me in that way he does.

I shake my head. "Not wrong exactly."

"What is it?" He asks earnestly, always the first to pick up on something I am holding back, he claimed it wasn't his magic, that he could just read me so well that he knew when something was not right.

"Prince Arden," I begin slowly, wondering if everything I have been worrying about is just in my head. But I couldn't shake the feeling every time I thought back to last night and our strange conversation.

"What about him?"

"Do you trust him? I mean trust his intentions for being here?" I ask, looking up to meet his bright silver eyes watching me closely.

"I don't know if I trust him personally, but in saying that I only know what I have learned about him on the battlefield and speculation and rumours. As for his intentions in being here, I haven't made up my mind just yet. It does seem a little too good to be true, after all this time wanting peace between our Kingdoms seems unbelievable. But his brother is King now, so perhaps they just decided it was a time for change." He shrugs. "Why are you thinking about Prince Arden and his intentions anyways?"

"Last night, I danced with him, and we had what I considered a strange conversation. He seemed to know me, know traits about me that he shouldn't. He said he knew I was different from the other chosen because of the way I lingered at the back of the group." I try to explain, it doesn't sound like enough reason to question him when I say it out loud.

"Well, he does possess psychic magic, those with that kind of magic are known to be more observant than others. I mean you do always linger at the back of the group, and while you always play your part and smile, for someone paying close attention they might notice your smile doesn't quite meet your eyes." He replies, his hand reaching up to truck a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

I nod, knowing he made sense, but why did it feel like more?

"Aeris doesn't like him." I say suddenly, feeling like I needed to defend my thoughts and feelings.

Alvaryn laughs. "Aeris doesn't really like anyone."

"True, there was just something about Prince Arden that made me uncomfortable, like he could look inside my mind and see all my secrets." I shiver at the thought.

"Well he can't look inside your mind Dae, his magic is in the realm of dreams and nightmares, dangerous in the wrong hands of course, but not something you should be worried about." He tries to reassure me.

I nod and smile, he holds my chin in his hands, lifting my face to meet his eyes.

"The Selection is only days away Dae, then you will be safe. I know this time has been difficult for you, keeping all these secrets and pretending to be this other person is difficult. But soon it will be over, then you will have two males you will love you unconditionally and endeavour to make sure you are happy and cared for and have all that you could ever want in life." He smiles, pressing his lips to mine once, again pulling away too quickly for my liking.

"I would like to believe that future is possible, truly, but you still haven't found the proof you've been looking for and without it I don't see how that future could exist. We should have a second plan, something in place in case it can't happen, so each of us will be ready." I say, letting the worries in my mind out in the open.

"What kind of plan?" He asks with a look of concern.

"Well, you know how I feel about the idea of, of being here, of being married to one of you and having to watch while the other is married to a different chosen. I couldn't do it, it would be every day, every breakfast and dinner, every passing in the corridors, formal events and ceremonies. Either way my heart would break over and over again, every time I would have to stand and watch."

"But that would only leave one other option, that neither of us choose you and some High Lord does, Winston or Saevel or whoever else that has you on their list." He returns, the hint of anger in his voice.

"I know, I know, but then at least we wouldn't be forced to live in the palace together. It would be easier to accept the loss of both of you when I'm not reminded of it day in and day out." I return.

He pulls back, running a hand through his hair as he stares at the ground, clearly unhappy with my decision.

"Dae, I am trying my best to understand your feelings on this, truly, but you being married to a High Lord is the worst option possible. All of us would lose, all of us would be heart broken. Just because we wouldn't live together doesn't mean we wouldn't still see each other, or think about it, just the idea of you not being in the palace is reason enough to become irate but then knowing you would be with another male. You can't expect both of us to accept that." His words rush out, his silver eyes turning darker by the moment.

"I'm not saying it would be easy, that we would just move on and forget everything in a heartbeat. I'm just trying to tell you how I feel, trying to let you know and understand that I would not be happy here if I was married to only one of you. I know it isn't fair, I know that it isn't what you want, or what Aeris wants. That you would rather one of you is married to me instead of neither. But I would not be happy Alvaryn. At least, if I do marry a High Lord and leave this place, while it will break my heart, I will eventually accept and move on and will have other happiness in my life, like children."

He lets out an angry sigh, running his hand through his hair again while gripping at the strands, his expression hard. He pulls his arm from around my shoulders standing up suddenly to pace back and forth.

"I can't," He stops himself, pacing again. "I won't let that future happen. You belong here with me and Aeris, you know you do. We are the only ones who will truly love you and appreciate you, just as you are, for exactly who you are." He paces again and I don't know what to do or say to calm him down.

"I'm sorry, I am, I didn't mean for this to happen, I didn't even think being in love was real or possible for me. And then to realise I loved two was..." I stop and take a breath, eyes becoming glassy with unshed tears. "I do want a future with both of you, I have never wanted anything more. I just know what I am capable of and what I am not."

He sits down beside me suddenly, taking my hands in his and staring at them, his thumb moving back and forth over the tops of my hands.

"Dae, I don't blame you for this happening, it was something neither of us were prepared for. Just the idea of losing you," He stops himself, brows furrowed. "You belong here, with us, and I am going to make that future our reality." He says before kissing my hands.

"I know you will do everything in your power to give all of us the future we want Alvaryn." I say kissing his forehead softly. He sighs softly, resting his forehead against mine, he felt exhausted and angry and confused, like the weight of everything he carried was too much. I wished I could help, take some of the burden but no matter how many times I offered he refused, saying the old texts were written in fae and I wouldn't be able to understand any of it.

"I love you Alvaryn, and no matter what happens , that will never change."

His shoulders soften and the corner of his mouth pulls up slightly.

"I love you too Dae, always."