八: また後で (Later then)

Getou's Room

Airi sat and saw Getou sitting in front of his desk with deep thoughts. He dove too deep that he didn't notice the girl waking up at the middle of the night. "Did something happen during your last mission?", Airi asked. Getou faced her and gave a small smile. "It's warm. I think I am not really good with this kind of weather", he explained and walked towards the girl. "Should we go outside and have a walk?", the girl tried to reach out to him. Her hand was enveloped by Getou's. "You have to rest well. I heard that you'd be having sport festival tomorrow. Have lots and lots of fun", he patted the girl's head.

Getou had been sleeping late these days. Cases of curse spirit increased so he needed to be in mission every now and then.

For what?

To protect the non-jujutsu users.

For what?

The strong exist to protect the weak.

For what?

The Next day

Getou combs the girl's hair and tied it on a ponytail. "I'm fortunate that I have years of practice tying my own hair", he slightly chuckled. The girl is wearing their physical education uniform. "Shoko will be watching you. You know her, she will send me videos and pictures of what happened", the lad assured. "You didn't sleep well and it's showing under your eyes. I'll ask Principal to let you have a break. Everyone else is doing it by pair except you and Gojo-san", she slightly raised her voice. She wasn't mad at Getou, nor Yaga. There wasn't anyone to blame.

"I'm quite enough to do mission alone", the lad squatted to match Airi's height. "As long as people bleed, they're capable of dying", she quoted. "Did you read that with Shoko? I told her to choose age-appropriate books", he sighed. She ran at the corridor shutting herself inside the room. Getou thought she was just throwing tantrums for the first time.

Should I leave her for a while?

She's still growing up so it must be hard for her to understand this as well.

Even if she asks, I don't think I'm confident to answer her.m

Airi lost her balance and slammed her head on the ground. Soon, there was bleeding. She crawled towards the door and was found by Gojo. "Oi! Suguru. I'll go get Shoko. Airi is bleeding", he said with his eyes wide open. The blackhead ran as fast as he could and saw the girl curled on the floor wincing in pain.

"Airi. What is wrong? You're bleeding", he carried her in his arms and looked around. "Shoko is here", Gojo informed.

Hospital

"Shoko used her ability, but she still needs medical attention", Yaga closed the door. He looked at Getou looking at him waiting for an explanation. He closed his eyes and breathed in. After gaining his composure back, he sat with the lad. Gojo stood behind the wall.

"Children are so adorable. They're precious gifts. Airi would cook and bake me food as her thanksgiving for letting her stay with you. She thought I am doing her favor, but it was the other way around. I lost my child few years ago. I never had the chance to hold my child's hand or even sleep with him", Yaga crouched and clasped his hands leaning his chin on it. "What are you getting into, Principal?", the lad bit his lip. He knew something was wrong with Airi's health, but he didn't bother asking more. He was afraid of knowing more. He was afraid of digging more.

What if?

What if he just killed those cults who laughed at Riko's death?

What if he would just stop digesting those disgusting curses?

What if he just retires?

What if the only thing keeping him sane will be taken away from him?

"Here is a choice, Getou", Yaga looked outside the window. The next things that went out from Yaga made the lad stand. "You're telling me that Airi might be the next vessel for Tengen-sama?", his eyes widened. It also made Yaga clenched his fist. "There is a constant regenerative particle in the lair of Tengen. You know that Airi's health is failing. Think of it as Tengen temporarily borrowing Airi's curse energy. It is an exchange", he calmly suggested. "Are you expecting me to just agree with that because it is the only solution?", he recalled Riko telling him he wanted to live more.

I wanted to live more with everyone.

And then, she was shot in front of him with his hands extended. Without having to do anything to turn back time, he had no choice but to accept it. Without no choice to swallow disgusting curses, he had no choice but to keep ingesting.

Without no choice?

Who said?

What is the other way around?

The door slid open with Airi weakly holding on the wall. "Airi. You shouldn't be getting up. Did you remove the IVs on your own?", Getou looked at her bleeding wrist with so much concern. "You shouldn't be fighting with the Principal, Getou-san. It was me who told everyone not to tell you about my condition. Also, Principal told me about staying where Tengen-sama is and spending my time there temporarily as I recover", she gulped and tried to walk but Getou caught her before she falls on the ground. "Airi, do you know what that could mean? If they saw that you're a compatible vessel with Tengen-sama, they're going to sacrifice you", the lad was referring to the elders of Jujutsu High.

I won't give Getou-san as a sacrifice.

"I was painfully naïve and young to understand some matters in life. Whether having you do dangerous mission or Amanai-san being offered to be the next vessel, I don't understand how it will be for the greater good and why should you be the one who has to take the role. I just wanted to be with you and Amanai-san might have wanted just to be a person who can live her life until she grows older with those she loves and cherish", Airi smiled weakly. "There's only one thing I am sure of this time, I just wanted to live longer so I won't leave Getou-san alone", she burrowed her face on the lad's chest. Yaga looked the other way and teared for such a heartwarming thing to hear from a child.

Looking into the lad's face, Airi pressed her lips and tip toed. "I'll be fine, Getou-san. Don't forget to visit me every now and then", Airi reached out to his face. The lad bent down and allowed the child to cup his face. "Tengen-sama is said to be an old man so I know we'll have so much things to talk about.

Chapter end.