十二: 英雄 (Hero)

Shopping Center

There are now fewer people and the sun already set. "I'll be setting the veil", Airi volunteered. Megumi stared at her for a long period of time. "Don't underestimate your upperclassman. I can do this much", she waved her hand and went opposite their target place. As she was walking, she suddenly felt a familiar and yet different energy. She looked around and felt like someone was watching her. The lady shook her head and went to a higher place to estimate the diameter of the veil she would be casting. 

Without having to recite an incantation, she was able to cast the veil. She watches as Nobara and Megumi complete their mission. The orange head waved at her and gave a victory smile. After destroying the curse energy, Airi released the veil and went to meet the two. 

"Ewww! Airi-senpai, I need to change my clothes. That idiot curse energy spat mucus on me", she ran away leaving Megumi behind. "Let's go and wait. Food court? I'm a little hungry from all the walking", Airi invited. The lad just nodded and followed behind. There was something about Airi that he had been curious about since the first time he met her. "Are you a special grade sorcerer?", he asked. The lady chuckled and slightly turned her head to see Megumi's expression. "Gojo-san didn't tell you? I was in Tengen's lair for ten years", she informed. "For, 10 years?", Megumi stopped walking and showed he was surprised. 

"Were you supposed to be a vessel? Was there an incompatibility?", he asked. "I'll tell you this again", Airi tip-toed and flicked Megumi's head. "Don't think too much about it", she gave a short chuckle. For some reason, Megumi felt embarrassed and gave a distance. "Still, I can't see curses so you have to tell me if I am to step on one", she waved her hands. 

Jujutsu High Track and Field

Airi sat on the grass after running for the 4th lap. "What a nostalgic scene", she heard a voice from behind and gave a deep sigh. She knew that she'd be annoyed in some way. "Oh, senpai. I also wanted to run some laps. Want to run with me?", Yuji invited. "With your super speed, I will just be wallowing that I can't even match you even an inch", she gave a short chuckle. "I like hearing your laugh and seeing you smile, senpai. It's like a fresh view", the lad commented. Airi wasn't sure how to react with her underclassman's statement. 

I hope you can smile more. 

Have you noticed, he can never smile his heart out?

Could that be the reason why he left?

Airi felt the pain in her chest. "Heh~ Are you hitting on senpai?", Kugisaki joined their conversation. "Ahk! That wasn't what I was trying to do", Yuji shook his head. The two started arguing about Yuji looking like a potato. Airi held on her chest and smiled. "I didn't smile that much when I was younger. I wish I could have", she walked towards the two. "Are you hungry? I was going to try a new menu", she invited. "Wah! We would like to try it!", the two underclassmen said in unison. 

Megumi was watching from a distance. A hand dropped on his shoulder. "Aren't you going to join them?", Gojo hummed. "I wasn't invited", the lad answered right away. "You don't have to be invited to join. Aren't you always part of the group?", the whitehead gave a push to him. 

Kitchen

Kugisaki and Yuji played some cards in the kitchen after being kicked out by Megumi. They're making too much mess while peeling the vegetables. "Thank you for helping me, Fushiguro-kun", Airi said while mixing the soup. "No need to thank me, I am going to eat as well", the black-haired lad continued chopping on some ingredients. "You're quite skilled", Airi commented. He had to learn to cook his own meal or else, he'd be eating unedible food prepared by his sister. The silence made Airi think that she wasn't heard. "The same goes with you", he suddenly replied before the lady opened her mouth. 

"I think, we do have a lot in common, Fushiguro-kun", Airi gave a short laugh and raised a spoon with soup. Megumi bent and tasted it. "Good for serving, I bet Yuji is already tired after the previous mission", he pulled himself away. "You can give me an honest comment", the lady crossed her arms. "I prefer my soup a little sour, although those guys will not mind", the black-haired underclassman answered. "Then, I'll make sure to take note of that", Airi gave a thumbs up. "If that's the case, I can go with it every day", Megumi commented. 

I can eat this every day. 

Airi's smile faded as she recalled something in the past. "Then, you have to make sure to keep coming back every day", she looked at the floor. "Is the food ready?!", Yuji asked with excitement. 

The next day, 

Saitama Urami East Junior High

"Senpai, after this, you want to do some shopping with me?", Nobara invited. "You're quite confident about finishing this mission early", Airi hummed. "We're just going to investigate the cause of death for three people", she pouted. "Then, the earlier we finish this task, the earlier we get to do shopping", Airi nodded.

Nobara grabbed Yuji to ask the delinquent about the mystery of three similar death. They froze as they see the group approaching. "See, they understood that we are im control", the duo felt proud. "Its good to see you back, Fushiguro-senpai", the delinquents bowed at the man. He just remained standing and was hoping to evade questions.

An old teacher approached them. "Fushiguro-kun, its been a while since you graduated here", Takeda recognized him and secrets were revealed. He was feared by all delinquents because they were all beaten by the man. After sometime, Airi joined the old man to ask more details.

School Corridor

"Are you classmates with Fushiguro-kun?", Takeda asked. "I am a third year and was tasked to make sure they don't do something risky", Airi answered. "I see. Looking at the group, I  relieved that the boy already have friends. I was worried that the only human connection he will form will be for Tsumiki", the old man continued walking in front of Airi. "Tsumiki-san?", she tilted her head. "His older sister, his anchor and guide. When I heard about the poor child falling into comma, I was worried of Fushiguro-kun's reaction. Thankfully, his guardian have means to pay for hospitalization. Of course, we're worried because it was only her who can shout at Fushiguro-kun whenever he beats up his schoolmates", Takeda confessed.

"Fushiguro-kun isn't the type pf person who enjoys fight. There must be a reason behind that", Airi was confident. "You're gifted to see what is within a person, young lady", Takeda confirmed her statement.

After sometime, Airi gathered all needed information and the three also inferred something. "It's quite dangerous so maybe Nitta can bring senpai back in the school. We might be dealing with special grade curses", Yuji suggested. "I'm not going back without the three of you. Remember, I was went here to accompany you", she shook her head. "I think I have to support Yuji on that, senpai", Nobara knew that she cannot see curse spirit. "I'm being summoned by Principal Yaga. Nishimiya-san, we'll send back-up for them if the problem escalates", Nitta informed. 

Car

The two are now passing through the bridge. "Is there anything in there?", Airi asked. Nitta gave a quick glance in the side mirror and saw the three jumped down. "Nothing yet, Nishimiya-san. Don't worry, those three will make it out alive. I am sure of that", the lady assured and continued driving. 

There were also a group of three that I once new. 

As far as I know, there's only one left. 

When he died, it was as if he felt alone. 

Jujutsu High Kitchen

"Kelp", someone gave a greeting.

"Good evening, Inumaki-san", Airi turned from the sink and saw the rest of the second year. "Where are the first years?", Maki sat on the chair. "They kicked me out saying I'll just be a burden", Airi chuckled. "Huh? How gutsy of those brats", the lady reacted. "They're telling the truth. By the way, where are the two third years. I saw their name in the classroom but never saw them", Airi asked. Panda raised his hand. "They're both suspended", he informed the girl. "Just like Nanami-san back in the days, being the only first year halfway", the lady continued cooking. "They'll be back and you'll have all your hands handling delinquents", Maki tried to console her. 

Chapter End.