17

As Regan left her room, she went to the kitchen. But she couldn't find peace there as well. The ceiling light started to swing itself, turning on and off.

"Damnit, what the hell are you?" she muttered.

"Why you never try to find it yourself, scarface?"

She didn't want to show fear but soon, she didn't have to. She felt her blood boil at the voice. She didn't have a lot to do about it but still wondered why these ghostly things never happened when Monica was in the house. It was as if it was meant to taunt her and only her.

Suddenly, she heard the doorbell ringing. She cursed under her breath and went to open the door. It was Vesper.

What was she doing at that time? Wasn't she at school?

"Hey, Reggie." Vesper tilted her head, a smirk on her face.

"Hi," Regan said, trying to swallow her frustration, "weren't you at school?"

Vesper shook her head, "No, I skipped. It was boring." She went past Regan. Regan wondered if the weird things would persist with Vesper being inside.

"So, Regan," Vesper said as Regan walked in, "Do we have anything to do?"

Regan shrugged. She didn't want to do anything. However, Vesper also seemed bored. It wasn't as if she had seen Vesper hang out with other friends. Although her friend seemed an outgoing and sociable girl, it wasn't like she had any other friends.

"Do you have anything cold? It's freaking hot here. Why is it so hot in here?" Vesper sneered. Regan knew that the whole house's temperature was raised overly, but all she did was open the windows.

"Do you want drinks or ice cream?" Regan asked her.

"Hmm...ice cream." Vesper said after a long thought.

"I only have vanilla," Regan replied, knowing that Vesper didn't like it. But why did she suggest it in the first place?

"Okay bring it." Her friend said, not sparing any attention. She opened the TV and surfed to different channels.

Regan walked to the kitchen and washed her hands. Then she opened the fridge, got the ice cream bowl, and threw it into two cups using a spoon.

Regan brought them to the living room and gave one to Vesper. When her friend took it, she looked at the ice cream with a scorned face.

"Are you kidding with me girl?" she shot her a hard glare, "this thing is melted."

When Regan saw at the ice cream, she was bewildered, even her own was defrosted. She could swear that the ice cream was just right moments ago, but couldn't explain this sudden weird thing.

While she tried to explain, Vesper got up from the couch and went to the kitchen herself.

If it were to be honest, Regan was also tired of her friend's complaints. She always had something to say; expressed disappointment even where there was no place for it.

It looked like Vesper wanted everything perfect, but was she flawless in the first place?

The girl went to the kitchen and saw Vesper, who had already gotten a new cup and was eating the ice cream, sitting in a chair. Regan looked at her and wondered if it would be right if she would tell Vesper about all her abnormal occurrences.

Since the thrilling night that Regan knocked on Vesper's door and woke her up, little did they talk about these matters. Regan didn't want to bring it up, because she seemed like a crazy person. Vesper, on the other hand, tried to avoid when the conversation came to supernatural matters. It seemed like they both were dodging the subject at all costs.

But Regan didn't want to keep it inside anymore. It was draining her moment by moment. The longer she maintained her emotional fortress, the more she suffered, like a prisoner bound by invisible chains. It had become imperative for her to release the pent-up emotions and find some form of solace. She felt like a prisoner of her own mind, she couldn't think about anything else other than him.

"Regan, why are you looking like that? You want to talk about something?" Vesper asked when she noticed the weirdness coming from the girl leaning on the archway.

Regan was fidgeting with her fingers, her hands slightly trembling. What would she want to talk about? So, so many things she wanted to tell. Simultaneously, she wrestled with the mental anguish of contemplating how Vesper would perceive her if she were to disclose everything. Regan feared that Vesper would label her as deranged.

"Vesper...do you feel...any weird presence around here?" She blurted out with an uncertain and awkward voice. The moment she said that, she regretted upon seeing her friend's expression.

When Vesper heard that, her mind instantly snapped somewhere else. She didn't want to go further.

"No?" came her reply, even though it sounded unsure. "What kind of presence?"

"Negative one...or most likely negative energy," Regan answered.

At the same time that Vesper didn't want to bring sort of these things up, she was curious to know about all the strange occurrences.

"No, I don't, but tell me what's going on? Why are you asking kinda questions?"

"I don't know how to say it!"

"You do, tell me what's bothering you so much? Is it that haunted house thing?"

"No," Regan shortly said and walked back to the living room. She sat on the couch and held her face with her hand.

"Come on, tell me Regan, I'm your best friend. I am never going to judge you. I'll believe in everything you say. You know? I've experienced these things myself. Please, tell me, you don't have to keep it inside anymore," Vesper persisted with determination to get the words out of that girl's mouth.

Little did Regan know if she was lying or not.

However, Vesper's words kind of stuck on Regan's mind. She was really willing to tell, to relieve herself. She could hold it much longer, but she also feared what Vesper would think.

Her friend continued with her long and persuasive speech, which made Regan to not stand it anymore and to tell everything.

She told her about the dreams, feelings, voices, presences, house, literally everything that was eating and torturing her mind. She forgot to say small details, however, she explained the dream just like it was. Upon hearing Regan's rantings, Vesper's face got paler. She didn't know all this. A distressed and vexation state spread all over her. But her fury wasn't for her friend, but something else that we don't yet know.

While Regan continued to talk, Vesper stayed stiffen as a rock and millions of thoughts ran through her mind. She wasn't hearing Regan anymore.

Suddenly, she got up from her seat in confusion and rage. Regan watched her in confusion, wondering what she was thinking.

"Do you have anything to say? Vesper?"

Vesper sighed and ran her hand through her hair in response to her inner irritation.

"Vesper?" Regan asked in uncertainty. The regret and fear of judgement washed all over her. The thought that Vesper was going to make fun of her and call her insane, made it even worse.

"Regan..."

"What?"

"You know...I just remembered I have something important to do. I'll talk to you later. Don't worry okay?" Vesper hurriedly said and abruptly stormed out of the house, leaving Regan with endless unanswered questions.