Twenty-Four

New Year's is the holiday when most of us make impossible goals for ourselves. 

Whether that be a diet or to stop a bad habit. 

Every year Valentina swore she would shed no more tears. Every year she has failed but she still set that goal for herself hoping that one day she could complete it. Maybe one day she'd be happy enough to not cry any more tears. Hopefully. 

Valentina Nanu Rodriguez's POV

It was New Year's Eve and I was celebrating over at Dad's house. Ethan was going to come along as well because he knew how much it meant for him and my Dad to like each other. 

I got dressed in a two-piece plaid vest and skirt along with a long sleeve black shirt. I put my hair up into a ponytail and flipped the ends up. I liked going into the new year looking presentable rather than in just anything. 

When I was finished getting ready I walked downstairs and out the door so I could go pick Ethan up. 

I turned on the radio and ironically 'New years Day' by Taylor Swift.  I was so into the music that when Ethan got into the car I hardly noticed. 

"Hola Mi Amor," I smiled at him before kissing his cheek. He gently grabbed my face and kissed me softly. His lips were sweet like strawberry. "Ethan, are you wearing my lip balm?" I laughed and he just kissed me again making me smile. 

We drove to my Dad's house singing different songs at the top of our lungs. 

When we were at a stop light one of Ethan's songs came on and for some reason, it surprised him when I knew it word for word. "What I'm your biggest fan!"

When we got to the house we both walked inonly to be blasted with a thick cloud of smoke and loud music. I started to cough at all the smoke and Ethan patted my back helping me catch my breath before we walked further in.

We found Brett on the couch with a bunch of cousins and I sat in Ethan's lap as they all talked. 

"What's your name?" A girl with a thick head of curls asked. 

She was absolutely stunning and she had the sweetest personality in the world. 

"I'm Valentina," I leaned up shaking her hand and Ethan gripped a little tighter on my waist so I wouldn't fall. "And this is my boyfriend Ethan."

He just gave a simple smile before turning back to the TV. He was mostly quiet the whole night while I talked to everyone until dancing music came on and my face lit up.  He knew my Mami would always dance with me whenever Spanish music came on.

He got up with me and started dancing how I had taught him a while back and I was laughing my head off because we probably looked stupid and yet I didn't care.

When the count down started I made the New Year's resolution I have made every year for about 5 years and this year I meant it. 

I didn't wanna cry anymore sad tears. I was so sick of crying and being in pain that I needed to make an oath to myself to be happier. Not only for me but for Ethan and my sweet niece and nephew.

I had people who actually counted on me now and I wasn't going to give up on them so easily. They fight for me everyday so I'm gonna fight to stay with them. 

When the ball finally dropped at midnight I gave Ethan the biggest kiss ever. I was just excited to ring in the new year with him.

"I love you!" He shouted over all of the screaming and I hugged onto him tighter.

Everybody continued to dance and drink but Ethan and I snuck out and drove down to a cliff that over looked the city.

It was gorgeous due to the city lights and everybody in time square. I leaned into Ethan's shoulder and we just talked about random stuff.

"Okay so how many kids do you want?" Ethan asked as he he ate some of the oreos I had in my trunk.

"I want 2," I smiled thinking about what it would be like to be a mom one day. "I want a little girl and a little boy."

"So what names we thinking of for these children?"

"Victoria after my mother obviously," I took an oreo and started eating it. "Maybe Vincent for a boy. Or Ethan Jr."

I cuddled closer to him as we watched the city view. It was like a dream talking about our future and the lfie we wanted together.

"I want a simple house you know?" He said once we moved onto the subject of homes.

"Thats fine as long as theres a huge backyard for the kids and our dogs." Ethan said and I started laughing.

"How many dogs we talkin'?" I asked rubbing my eyes.

"Two or three," Ethan wrapped his arms around me. "But I want atleast one dog at our wedding."

"Well if you get dogs than I want the wedding on the beach,"  I laughed and he looked down at me.

"I don't want sand in my shoes!" He said with a laugh.

"well then I don't want dogs at my wedding," I scrunched my nose at him and he rolled his eyes with a defeded sigh.

"Fine! we can have our wedding at a stinking beach!" He rolled his eyes and I threw my hands up and started doing a happy dance.

"As long as I get to see you in a beautiful white dress," Ethan leaned in and slowly placed his lips onto mines.

To seal the perfect moment fire works went off in the distance which made us both smile.

I knew I felt fireworks when our lips met but God I wonder if he felt the same about me.

Did my lips bring him the same joy and comfort?