Twenty-Three - Tabetha

"I'll be right back; I need something for this headache," Tabetha said.

For the last six hours, she and Samfred had been working over their laptops in a dingy room in Kah-non. A tiny town with only one room for rent. It served their purposes. Tabetha would have liked to have her own room instead of taking turns with one bed. Samfred never stopped mumbling to himself. And then there was the constant tap of his fingers over the keyboard.

With the help of the Raptodon's, they had a ghost server to track Webb's whereabouts, but so far, they'd come up with nothing. Even the Raptodon didn't know how Webb had found their location. This headache was only getting worse since the assassins stormed their safe house.

"Try tea, I have some packs in my medicine bag," Samfred mused from his keyboard.

The Grey's answer to most things was whatever he had thrown into his bag before they ran.

Tabetha was happy to be with him. She'd always looked up to Samfred. He was at the top of his field. Well respected amongst the Wolfeen people. Which was a difficult thing to garner given he was such a close relation to the Ghoul. The Grey had more than earned their love and respect.

Sometimes, she considered what her true feelings about him were.

If the Wolfeen could fall in love with the hybrids. No. The Grey differed from the Wolfeen in matters of love and mates.

If they were mated, something would have happened already. Wouldn't it?

Tabetha had never been in love; she'd never had a lover either. Her feelings for the Grey were a manifestation of how well she thought of him. She was confusing them with being in love. She hadn't felt the onset of her heat cycle, which was the only way she knew how she felt for him. It couldn't be what she thought it was.

"I'll try that, thank you, Sam." Tabetha sighed. Rubbing her temples, she moved around the cramped room to retrieve water for the kettle.

Tension in the back of her neck tightened down the length of her spine. Pressure behind her eyes built before a sharp pain bled through her senses. Like electrodes were piercing her brain.

Panting, Tabetha braced her hand against the door frame. Steadying herself as the pain continued to surge.

"Sa—am..."

Her voice trembled. Black dots danced in front of her eyes. Tabetha's consciousness faded fast before she collapsed.