Thirty-Seven - Castian

Webb had been talking for three goddamn days and not a bit of it was of use to them. Three fucking days. Why he'd expected a full confession, he didn't know. It didn't matter in the end, though; they had Webb dead to rights. All the evidence they pulled from the facility she was using. The best they could figure out was the Ghoul abducted women from Earth and brought them back to the lab. Once the splice was complete, they were off to the next buyer.

There were twelve other hybrids on the lower level of the compound they found. But it didn't account for all the hybrids. Castian doubted there were only twelve. Another facility might be somewhere else and then there was Tabetha.

Webb's men snatched her from the hospital the day of the bombing at K9 headquarters. Tabetha didn't think anything of going with them as a guarded escort, but they were working for Webb the whole time.

She was adjusting well enough and Tabetha 2.0 had been briefed on the whole thing. Right now, she was beside herself, as Castian imagined anyone would be when they found out they were a clone.

Erika had taken to calling her Beth because it was easier to differentiate between them.

They both had the same memories except for Beth's deviated onto a different timeline. That was how Webb found the safe house and how she found Zeus' cabin too. She used a microchip implanted in Beth's brain. A device she used to listen in on Beth's conversations, to see through her eyes. Even Samfred wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between Tabetha and Beth.

It was what caused the headaches for Beth. It was lucky they'd apprehended Webb when they did, as the microchip was causing severe brain damage.

Samfred performed the surgery to remove it himself as well as assessed the damage done. Beth could live a full and happy life without it and the damage hadn't been so severe to render her disabled. She wanted to be helpful.

It was easy to see Beth wasn't sure where her place in the world was yet. Like so many of the hybrids, she was taking it one day at a time.

"Has she said anything of use?" Castian asked Vexx and Zeus, who were seated around a monitor, looking into Webb's holding cell.

Zeus shook his head, rising from his seat with a growl.

"Not a damned thing." Making his way to the coffeepot to refill his cup.

"Go check on Tati... I'll take over for a little while. Both of you need some sleep." Castian said.

They were all running in less sleep than a newborn. Between questioning Webb and watching the cameras, Castian was also checking on the hybrid Isa.

She was the first known hybrid not of Wolfeen DNA, but Zema wasn't allowing anyone near her. The Calico Lioness had a deep connection with the hybrid, one that was interesting.

The Lioness treated Isa more like a cub than a hybrid. Accepting her as her own and Zema was certain it was her own DNA used in the splice. Samfred had taken samples from her, but she wouldn't allow any blood to be drawn from Isa. The small hybrid was still too delicate at the moment.

Zema eluded Isa was attacked. Guards would come to their cell and take Isa away. Every time she was brought back, Zema could smell blood and semen.

They were trying to interbreed Calico and Wolfeen to produce a new species. At least, that was Castian's best bet.

Castian shivered with rage every time he thought of what was done to the hybrid. It was on his own orders no one touched Isa. Not even Samfred for the time being. If pregnancy took, then it was a bridge they would cross soon enough. Until then, he was researching the best treatment possible for her.

The little hybrid needed someone to talk to, but right now, she wasn't ready yet.