Twenty-Nine - Tati

Tati was prepared to launch herself at the door the second it opened. But she wasn't expecting it to open after half an hour of listening to someone's screams and seeing Tabetha.

Before she could shake the shock that slammed into her. Tabetha was pushed through the doorway as Tati leaped forward to grab her.

Tabetha's weight sagged against her chest as her knees gave out from under her. Tati slid to the floor with the woman for a second. Brushing her hair away from her bruised and bloody face.

"Oh, my God." Tati breathed out. Gently moving the stray strands of hair that were stuck to Tabetha's face in blood. "Tabetha..."

She wanted to ask if she was ok, but based on appearances alone, Tati knew that question would be stupid. More than once, Darian had beaten her while they were together. She'd had to lock herself in the bathroom. Her face never looked half as bad as Tabetha's did right now.

"Oh dear, God... Sweetie. Can you speak Tabetha?"

Tears stung her eyes, clouding her vision as Tati shifted, moving to help Tabetha lie down on the floor. Tati was too afraid to move her to the cot without knowing the extent of her injuries.

Blood stained her shirt and there were marks all over her arms and wrists where she'd been bound to something. As well as burn marks around her neck. But otherwise, the rest of her body looked unharmed, as far as she could tell, with a cursory glance.

"W—water."

Tabetha's swollen blue lips murmured. Tati snatched the mattress from the cot and pulled it over to prop up Tabetha's head. There wasn't a sink in this room and the only water to be found was in the toilet.

Glaring down into the bowl, it was porcelain white. At least it looked clean, but she didn't like the thought of serving Tabetha toilet water.

"S'okay." Tabetha rasped, her eyes sliding to the toilet with a small nod. One of her hands flopped in a "Bring it" motion.

Stealing herself. Tati dipped her hands down into the cold water. Cupping her hands before she turned. Tati scurried the short distance from her friend as she cupped her hands to her mouth.

The first swallow didn't want to go down. Tabetha wound up coughing in hard spasms, one arm sliding over her ribs to stabilize them as she coughed.

"It's okay, take your time. I'll get you more if you want it." Tati whispered, sniffling, her voice hoarse with unshed tears. She would not turn into a blubbering mess right now, Tabetha needed her.

"Tati..."

Tabetha's voice was barely a whisper of air as she forced her name from swollen, blood-crusted lips.

"Shhh, it's okay. I'm here."

The Wolfeen shook her head. "There is something wrong with me. I can't remember things. Gaps of time. I don't even know how I got here." Tabetha whimpered, tears springing to her bruised eyes as she looked up at her.

Tati looked at her, shaking her head somewhat. Loss of memory could be due to head trauma, which Tati was certain Tabetha had sustained.

"It's from... all this," Tati said, waving her hand toward the woman's face.

She'd taken such a beating; it would make sense she couldn't remember some things if she was hit over the head.

"Tell me the last thing you remember." Tati prompted. She didn't want to frighten Tabetha any more than she already was. If they traced her steps, they could resolve the lapse in her memories.

"More water, please." Tabetha rasped.

Nodding, Tati got up, scooping more water into her hands from the toilet.