Chapter 81-85

Chapter 81 Discussion on the construction of enclosed houses

    Enclosed houses, as the name suggests, are enclosed houses. They are ancient solid dwellings that integrate shrines, homes, and forts, and have distinctive defensive features. They have strong defensive functions and the affinity of clan groups. .

    The construction of enclosed houses began in the Tang and Song Dynasties, prevailed in the Ming and Qing Dynasties, and reached its peak from the end of the Qing Dynasty to the middle of the Republic of China. During this period of time, domestic wars continued, the situation was precarious, and the safety of people's lives and property was seriously threatened. Therefore, the number of buildings around the house increased sharply, and the defense function was stronger and more complete.

    The enclosure is both a residence and a fortress against foreign enemies. There are many rooms in the house, which can be used as bedrooms, study rooms, kitchens, living rooms, storage rooms, toilets, etc. There are living facilities such as wells, pig pens, chicken coops, and horse pens in the patio. People living in enclosed houses are completely independent, and they don't have to worry even if they are besieged for a long time.

    The outer walls of the surrounding houses are mostly solid city walls made of bluestone, cobblestone, and blue bricks. They are impregnable and easy to defend but difficult to attack.

    Gu Weiwei feels that this is exactly what Shiqiao Village needs right now. But now it is not easy to build an enclosed house, architectural drawings, materials, labor, etc. are all big problems.

    "What's wrong with you? Why are you in a daze?" Lin Huanhuan reached out and shook her eyes twice.

    "It's nothing, I suddenly thought of something, and I was a little distracted," she returned to her senses, and looked at Lin Huanhuan with a faint look in her eyes. She is from Gannan, so does that mean she also has a certain understanding of the enclosure?

    Gu Weiwei pulled Lin Huanhuan to inquire about the situation of the enclosure. Lin Huanhuan only thought it was a whim and didn't care, and began to introduce the local Hakka enclosures in his hometown. Could it be that when she meets someone who is interested in the architecture of her hometown, she tells Wei Wei everything she knows. In the process of telling the stories one after another, her homesickness also faded.

    After listening to Lin Huanhuan's narration, Gu Weiwei tapped his forehead with his index finger, thoughtfully.

    This day when the child is out of school, Grandpa Gu asked someone to take a message to Gu Qingshan, asking him to come over when he has time. When Gu Qingshan came back from the mountain, he couldn't take a break, so he hurriedly called Gu Cheng and Accountant Zhang to go to Gu's house together. He knew that Grandpa Gu wouldn't ask him to go if he didn't have special matters.

    Did something happen in the village that he didn't know about?

    When we arrived at Gu's house, it was Gu's father who opened the door.

    "You're sure you'll come as soon as you get off work, come in quickly, just have a drink or two together."

    The Gu family's dinner is ready, and they can start eating after they come back from work down the mountain to freshen up.

    "Wipe your face first." Gu Weiwei handed them the prepared hot towel.

    Gu Qingshan took the hot towel and applied it to his face, and immediately felt his frozen facial muscles relax.

    He wiped his face and hands carefully, and said with a smile: "Look, it's because my daughter is caring, why didn't I have a daughter." After speaking, he looked at Gu Cheng pretending to be disgusted.