* ੈ✩‧₊˚𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙴𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝: 𝚈𝚘𝚞'𝚟𝚎 𝙶𝚘𝚝 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚆𝚛𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚁𝚞𝚋𝚢

⇣ 𝚆𝙷𝙾 𝙼𝙰𝙳𝙴 𝙼𝙴 𝙰 𝙿𝚁𝙸𝙽𝙲𝙴𝚂𝚂?⇡

The best and only way to say this is, you survived. Terribly so.

Wait, why do you feel so terrible about surviving? You should throw a party, like you planned before but then got your hopes up too high to the roof, you dropped to the floor.

Days had passed since then, and you've noticed the change in meeting patterns with this man.

On day one, the two of you had lunch with one another. In dead silence while you were busy stress eating and him making a whole fuss about it for quite some time. But it was silent all the way through.

The next day in the same following week, the two of you had some tea on the balcony in some random room in the Ruby palace. It's hilarious to say that he hasn't grown fond of you, and actually had the energy and life support to walk all this way to meet you, how noble! (Not really, but the shoe fits!)

And so on and so forth, your time with one another wasn't the best. If you were a couple, anyone with a brain can tell this was anything but a date. Yes, you even have faith that they in fact, did not see this as such. You can briefly confirm with the way they flaunt their desires and beauty. Love was surely out of the question until Diana shows up, and eventually . . . passes away. Or maybe they do?

'Maybe he was bored?' You're quite indecisive on whether or not this is a question or a fact. You know there is no need for competition, despite this evil concubine having 'unrivaled' beauty, you can guess that wasn't enough to charm Claude. Only Diana and Jennette were able to do so. Though, Jennette was more cute than extraordinarily beautiful.

How different can you and Diana be?

One is glamorous and graceful with her peers and strangers too. Beautiful and such a magnificent dancer, you can't wait to see her dance when she shows up. It would probably be the only time you'd get to enjoy yourself for once, without having to feel any sort of death trap lingering nearby.

Yet, you can't help but feel some sort of jealousy towards her. What's even special about you? What even is your quirk? Do you even stand out? Did you have anything abnormal about you, to the point your sudden presence would attract those of a hawk? You can't remember.

'Beauty can get you anywhere, huh?' Is what you'd find yourself pondering on about.

Despite all of the constant visits, you were only grateful that he didn't necessarily visit due to his needs. Maybe other nights that you were oblivious to. But that doesn't matter to you in the slightest. Love before lust! That is all you can say.

And just like countless times before, the silence abrupt. Occasionally, the Emperor's trusted aide, Felix, would ramble on about stuff to you. In the midst of it all, you'd just nod your head, giggle, cough, and do other easy replies to his rambling. When anyone is brave enough to speak (that being Felix), you'd answer as relaxed as you can appear to be. You doubt you look or even play the part. You noticed how this seems to cease, after the main conflict goes into play eventually.

What started off as snacks and pastries being brought in, grew to just simple tea. Maybe a small cake on the side. Appetizing and hopefully healthy to your liking. Though, it was a mix.

In total, the days you spent with one another, all happened in a single month. Doubtful if you may think, but the truth is right here.

You peek up at the man who sits before you. Only to glance back down at your feet when you catch his gaze, just as he did too.

"What is the matter with you?" he asked. You shake your head hastily, smiling slightly, obviously nervous.

"Nothing is the matter, Your Majesty," you replied, lying through your rotting teeth if you ever have to eat another sweet again! On the other hand, you won't deny that you'd enjoy it very much, if you weren't in front of him.

He only hummed, aware of the fact that you're lying to him. At least he isn't threatening to kill you! Better be glad than sorry.

"Is that so? Tell me, Leocadian, what is it that keeps your mouth shut so often? When Felix speaks, no words worth a mere sentence comes from your mouth. Is there a problem?"

"No, there isn't any problem." There's multiple, but anyone who'd know what's good for them would shut their mouths too.

"Then why the silence?" he pesters. You think you should take back the part where you said that he isn't threatening to kill you. Still, actions speak louder than words. He doesn't even need to speak to threaten you! Nevertheless, outright be so straightforward about it.

"Because, Your Majesty doesn't need someone as low and ratty as a Leocadian as me, to speak without him being a part of the conversation." Was that reasonable? Does it even make sense? Sarcastic yes. Risky, yes. Stupid, yes. But there will be times where you need to stoop a bit low to survive something as terrifying as this coo coo head here. You need a survival guide. Perhaps you can write one.

He only snears quietly, then answers. "But what is it that you really want to say to me, Leocadian?" You blink a few times, take a small breath, and answer as you may.

"Of all the concubines. . . how does me being here, benefit his majesty?"

As simple as the question was, only that you can hope doesn't sound anywhere near disrespectful in the slightest, but...

You look at Claude again.

He is still young. But never changing. His gold hair will stay gold for as long as it would like. He has no say in it. But his eyes will continue to glimmer and shine, like a diamond in the rough. His skin is aging but that isn't really important. He'd still look the same. Probably thinner and taller too.

Claude doesn't answer, as he rests his head on his hand and looks out into the bushes growing berries, flowers, and herbs too. A river can be heard nearby, but the trees hide it exceptionally well.

How does a mere concubine get the luxury with whom they're serving? In stories, they would just be treated like a dead mouse in the corner of the palace.

"We're finished here," he raises his hand, as multiple maids come to your aid, ready to escort you back to the Ruby palace. A place you're not sure if you can really, absolutely even be able to call "home".

As you walk back to the Ruby palace, you hold onto your hat that has suddenly been greeted. Your hair blows, going with the wind, as you did not smile, but only continued to stare off. You are a ruby. Turning, you look back at the Emperor, who continues to sit by himself.

He is still in a daze, but that daze is looking back at you looking back at him. Or, perhaps he wasn't in a daze.

You can hardly say you feel sympathetic, but you can say you are unable to tell what you should feel right now. Can you tell yourself to feel a certain way in seconds? No. Not that I know of.

"Let us go Miss." And so you turn, mind blank and only going with the flow of the present to a future you can only hope that will be set in stone the way you want it to be. What will you do? What can you even do? Where shall you go? When will you leave?

You are in the body of a ruby. Perhaps you were not found in the rough. But in an open land of passion and love. Could you be anything else besides that? You're not sure. Not completely anyway. In the end, you smile. You are not the ruby people had found and handpicked because it was all glittery and shiny.

You are you. As I am too.