Chapter 12

The day has come. I had to go to class. It has been three days since that happened in the restaurant. I skipped class once, because I just wasn't ready to face him. How are we going to continue working as professor and student now that it was obvious both of us felt some kind of attraction towards each other? It was all a complete mess, and it shouldn't have happened.

Not only that, but we were both on dates with other people. I felt so bad towards Jean and Elena, who were clueless for the rest of the date. Elena obviously had a huge crush on Mr. Yeager, I don't even want to think about how she would look at me if she found out about us. Speaking of us, as in me and Eren, I had to talk to him to get this off my chest. I think we both would agree that that was a mistake. 

I was preparing a speech the whole way to my college. How I would walk in the classroom, see Mr. Yeager but ignore him and walk up to Jean to sit next to him, as he instructed me to do on our date. I had no idea how Mr. Yeager was dealing with all of this - was he expecting something more, was he feeling guilty like I was or did he decide to completely forget it happened. No matter that, we had to talk. For my sake.

The nervousness grew inside of me as I was walking closer to the doors of the lecture hall. Knowing who I would see when I walk in, my heart worked at a faster pace. I pull my scarf upwards, to cover more of my face, hoping it would strangle me before I get to see his face. But, that didn't happen, unfortunately. I was on one step distance to the door, when I heard a voice behind me.

"There you are!" Jean said happily as he walked closer to me. He gave me a hug, which I return uncomfortably knowing Mr. Yeager could see us, because we stood right in front of the open door.

"Are you feeling better?" He asks as we enter the classroom and make our way up the stairs. I previously told Jean I felt sick to explain my absence from class. He was constantly nagging about visiting me, but I knew if he did that, he would be able to tell I was lying, and then he would ask a thousand of questions. 

"Um, yes... I'm good now." I said as I tried to not look at certain someone who sat at their desk and typed something on their laptop. Being in the same room as him, it made me feel some kind of way. It made the memories from that night flood back into my mind. I take a deep breath and focus on what was important. Class, studying, getting my work done to graduate. And amongst other things, getting my laptop fixed. I brought it in for repair the other day, and they said it wasn't fully dead and that they could look at it and hopefully fix it. 

Jean and I both sit down and get ready for the lecture. The whole time my eyes were stuck on Mr. Yeager, who was gathering his material in order to get ready for lecturing. He didn't look different in any way, not that I expected him to.  I was getting caught up in my thoughts again, when Jean got my attention.

"He was super moody last time, everyone was afraid to ask questions... I don't know what is going on in his life, but the guy looks heavily tense. If you know what I mean." He winks at me and I roll my eyes and look away. I did indeed know what he meant, but that could be anything, not necessarily from that night. 

"Okay class-" As he starts speaking, other voices in the room slowly quieted down to listen to what he had to say.

"Today you will be doing some research on topics you choose. You can work alone or in pairs, as long as it gets finished by the end of the class, which is in 3 hours. You have enough time to do quality work and take this seriously, as you will have to turn it in as you exit the class today. One from the pair can come down to pick the topic, you will get the list with questions along with a short introduction text." When he was done, some students stood up and made their way towards him. 

"Team work?" Jean asks me as he stands up as well.

"Sure." I answer and he smiles, then walks down to the professor. He waited in a line to pick our topic and made sure to look back at me and flash me his smile. When it was finally his turn, Mr. Yeager showed him a list of topics, and when Jean was writing something, he looked up at me. My whole body froze and I had no idea what to do. Am I supposed to smile? Or just act normal? This has to be the most awkward thing I have ever encountered. Unlike my overthinking self, he was calm. Very calm, if you will. He had no particular face expression, at least not the one from which I could read what he was thinking about. I hated to admit it, but that was... disappointing. 

I force myself to tear away my eyes from him. He chose to forgot it. That was what I hoped for, kind of. We made out, it was fun and wrong but it was a one time thing made to be forgotten and never talked about again. Still, how could he act so... normal... and cold, even. Before I could realize, I was getting worked up. I forced a smile when Jean came back up. 

"Are you okay?" He asks as he sits down next to me. Damn, was my fake smile so,... fake? I was about to reply automatically, the usual and untruthful "I'm good", but I couldn't bring myself to say it. 

"I need to use the bathroom... I'll be back, okay?" I didn't wait to get a reply from him. I stood up from my seat and started walking down the stairs. I was looking down, but I felt his eyes on me. If I remembered correctly, we weren't obligated to notify the professor if we had to leave the class for any reason, as long as we do it quietly it's okay. I didn't notice I was gritting my teeth until I walked out and closed the door. I take a deep breath and slowly walk towards the end of the hall, where there were toilets. 

"Miss Y/N" A voice behind me made me halt in my steps. I bite my lip, refusing to turn around and face him.

"Yes, Mr. Yeager?" I reply with a nice voice. Jerk. What does he want now? Few seconds passed, then the sound of doors closing echoed in my ears.

"Y/N..." Drastically different tone of his voice said my name. It made me scoff. I turn around, only to see him just a few steps away from me.

"Is using the bathroom forbidden? Or do I have to ask for your permission, like in high school?" I don't know why I had an attitude with him right now. He was looking at me quiet, but obviously irritated by my unserious question.

"I just wanted to say-" Another professor walks by us and he stops speaking to smile and greet him. When he was at the safe distance, Eren starts speaking again. Although I wish he just stayed quiet.

"You should stop looking at me like that, especially in class." He said and I look him in the eyes, not believing what he just said. Have I really been staring so hard without noticing?

"I don't want neither of us getting caught up in any rumors, okay? Nothing else..." I was looking at him with my eyes wide open.

"Rumors that I'm your student? What should I look at in class, if not at my professor?" I quickly come up with defense.

"Students don't look at their professor like that." He tilted his head and looked almost like he was holding back his grin.

"Maybe I should go back to, I don't know, being born and learn how to see again?" The sarcasm was obvious in my voice.

"Y/N-" He started, but I didn't care to listen.

"No, it's okay. You know what, I won't look at you ever again, Mr. Yeager." I said and turned around, ready to run away from this situation.

"Stop being childish, Y/N" His voice got a bit louder. I was walking away from him and planned to go straight home. 

"You are not leaving right now, Miss Y/N or else I will have to give you negative points." I stop once again. He couldn't be serious, right? 

"Screw you." I made sure he heard that, before I finally left him standing in the middle of the hallway alone. I was furious. Who the hell does he think he is? I was literally stomping all the way to the train station, cursing him out in my head. I don't even know why I was surprised, he was a jerk to me since the beginning. I was a fool to think that night meant anything to him. He was probably so bored on his date, he decided to play with me and complicate my life. 

Asshole, he really was one.