Chapter 22

NEXT DAY

Today I had a morning shift at work, and of course I slept in. As soon as I opened my eyes and checked time, I realized I had only 10 minutes to get ready. I was tying my hair up in a ponytail as I was walking down the stairs of my building. I couldn't ignore the feeling I had down there. It was a bit uncomfortable , but not painful. Memories from last night flood inside my head and I couldn't help but smile. As I sped up my walking, a car honk made me flinch and look in the way it came from. My smile widens as I wave back to him and look both ways before crossing the road to get to his car. 

"Morning" I opened the car door and drop myself in the comfy seat. Eren's morning voice was something I could really get used to. 

"Hi, how did you-" Before I could even finish my sentence, his hand was on my cheek, turning my head towards him so he could kiss me. I closed my eyes, melting at his soft lips. After awhile he pulled away, not looking anywhere but my face.

"You look beautiful" He said while smiling widely. I press my lips to hold my smile, biting on them when my eyes fell again oh his wet lips. Unable to control myself, I lean in for yet another kiss. He sighs against my lips, his hand gently placed on my jawline and neck. I teasingly roll my tongue over his lower lip and we both chuckle. Pulling away, I felt flustered and warmer than before. 

"How are you feeling?" He said as he turned on the engine and started driving.

"Very good. And you?" I didn't even try to hide my smile. Looking at his side profile, at his face, arms and hands... Everything reminded me of last night. Jesus girl, control your hormones. 

"Better now that I see you, that's for sure." I sensed a sad undertone in his voice, which made me furrow my eyebrows. 

"Is everything okay?" I ask him. He didn't answer for a few moments and took a deep breath instead. 

"Yeah, things are just a bit hectic right now. I'll probably need to leave the town and visit some of my dad's properties to get everything sorted... Since they belong to me now." I raised my eyebrows, confused.

"Properties?" He saw I was confused, so he explained further.

"My dad has a big share in few foster homes around the country, owns two of them. That goes way back though, my great grandpa opened some of them. Now that my dad is not here, someone else will have to manage them..." And that someone is him, I guess. Wow, I never knew Mr. Yeager was such a busy man. Not only that, but very generous as well.

"You sound unsure... why is that?" He bit his lip as he thought of an answer for my question.

"Aside from working at collage, that job was really important to him. Not to mention how many kids got a new home because of his persistence to find the right families. But while he was focusing on finding a home for those children, he forgot he had his own at home." He stopped and clicks his tongue. 

"I know it may sound selfish, but when I was little it really bothered me. I did help him past couple of years though and it's really great, but I don't want to make the same mistake as him."

"Which is...?" I wanted him to continue.

"Get so caught up in business and forget about the people I love." He looked at me for a second, before turning his attention back to the road. My heart skipped a beat, but I understood what he was saying and truly felt for it.

"That is kind of why I'm here, I have to get going right after this." I turn to look at him in surprise. So he came to pick me up to say goodbye? 

"Oh..." But it's Christmas this week... "For how long will you be away?" I felt bad he had to work while it's supposed to be time to relax.