Chapter Twenty-One ✩ Relief

The holidays were not the fondest memories for Kanae. Towards the end of the year, moments to be cherished were reminders of the cavernous loneliness that lived within her family. Whilst everyone was finding bliss and love during the season, she was already surrendering to Christmas and pleading for the New Year to come in rolling.

Though in the present moment, those thoughts weren't important. A bitter sigh left her lips as her body rung from the air.

A simple mission they said. A Grade 4 Curse they said.

A tentacle-like creature tightened its grasp around her ankle squeezing a whimper out of her. It reminded her of a being that only could form from the imagination of production. Something mythical that could only emerge from the depths of sea was holding her hostage. Its burning slop creeping from its flesh and mending with hers. With all the curses she seen and continued to meet, it still left her feeling troubled.

Pondering on the commission, she couldn't help but process how dangerous their missions were becoming. With every assignment, the reality was further from it.

One day, they'll actually get someone killed this way.

Her arms flailed up as she attempted to hike her skirt up that found itself exposing her lower bits. What a rookie move it was to not wear shorts under her skirt. As fear should have been coaxing her mind, there was an embarrassment and frustration that burned brighter off of her. If that was to be her last stance, how shameful it would have been.

The door to the room shot open, and in came her savior with a butcher knife in hand.

It was as if her mental pleas were answered. A smile of relief flashed on her face watching her exhausted friend.

"Nanami!"

Panting with blade in hand, Nanami directed his attention towards the beast. His forehead glistened in sweat which was tainted by unnamed liquids showing his previous rendezvous with other curses. Time stood still as his presence waged in the room shifting the tides between them and the creature.

"Was this one curse too troublesome for you?" Visualizing one swing, a plethora of slices disturbed the air in the direction of the curse's limbs. "I thought you were stronger than this."

The curse dissembled within the air causing her body to drop from the sky. In a swift motion, he caught her in his arms before demolishing any remains of the creature. Attempting to regain her stance, she balanced herself using his arm.

"Thanks. I thought so too." She tried her best to muster a smile, but her eye twitched as her ankle throbbed. "If you hadn't come, I would've been a goner. I just figured out that I don't mesh well with curses with no eyes."

"How unfortunate." Noticing her instability, he grabbed her by the waist to keep her up. "I guess that's something you need to work on."

"I guess so."

The two began to walk towards the exit of the room wanting to leave the wretched place. Nanami had exorcised all the curses on his own. It was surprising to Kanae, but she could not deny the disappointment she felt with herself. Her arm slung over Nanami's shoulder as he guided them out the building. For the abandoned factory, it surprised her how many curses had inhibited in it and how strong they had been.

Nanami rested her body on a bench nearby as he took a seat beside her. The sun was setting which contrasted to the time of day they arrived in the building. The chilled air of the winter season was finally bearable as the cursed energy dissipated. The two stared at her bruised ankle with two completely distinctive reactions. A knot arose from her purpled skin and he watched full of concern as her chest jittered a chuckle.