Chapter Twenty-Seven ✩ Outsider

Sitting on bleachers, Kanae took a heavy breath watching Mari and her huge group of friends having fun on the ice. Her mind was still on her phone which was the only connection she had between her and Japan. Her true home and more importantly Gojo. It had been a day since her phone had been taken out of commission.

The air was cold and the snow from the previous days had hardened. Ice skates her size were planted near her feet as she had rented them. Before they had arrived, she agreed to try out skating but chickened out quickly as they witnessed a random girl face plant on the ice. To her, it felt like it was a sign that that would be her next.

This trip was unnecessarily stressful that she was beginning to hate it. She would have rather been in a room with curses than this family trip right now. It was weird being in a house with people you rarely know or trust.

"What are you doing here? Why are you on your own?" One of Mari's friends came over. If she recalled, he was Chase. His hair was an ash brown with deep blue eyes to match. It wasn't like Gojo's as it was darker and more plain.

She could feel Mari's glare from the ice as she noticed their interaction. It was evident there was something between them, or something Mari had felt for him. Chase took his place on the bleacher below her as he looked up at her.

"I'm not in the mood." Kanae planted the palms of her hands at her sides as she leaned into the bench. She wasn't one to make small talk with someone she had no clue of.

"Is that really the case?"

"I'm an outsider. You guys are all friends and I don't know any of you."

She felt out of place. Yet, she was forced to join Mari and her friends due to her aunt and grandmother pestering her. 'It would be fun' they said. 'You would meet new people' they said. If anything she felt as if she was being judged by the greater group.

Chase tilted his head. "Well then, get to know us. You can start with me if that makes it easier."

Noticing Mari's glare, she shook her head with a nervous laugh. "I don't think that's a good idea. I don't want to cause any drama."

He squinted his eyes at her noticing she had looked off into the distance behind him. Craning his head, he noticed her and Mari were having an intense and unofficial staring contest.

"Is this about Mari?" As she noticed his reaction, her expression relaxed. "I thought you guys were cool with each other. Well that's what she says anyways."

Kanae gently raises her eyebrows. "Is that so?"

She was quick to relax her expression. Whoever he was, she didn't need to be inserting him in their family business. "It's nothing. I just miss my friends from back home."

"That's fair." He nodded. "Though I'm not buying it completely. Is it just friends or a boyfriend...maybe a girlfriend?"

As he wiggled his eyebrows, an image of Gojo flashed in her head. Gosh, she missed his annoying self. If Gojo could read her thoughts, he would probably revel in how much she wanted him right in that moment.

Chase noticed the flush expression on her face after his question. He smirked at her. "I guess I'm right. Let me guess. A boyfriend? Tall? Blue eyes? Brown hair?"

She rolled her eyes. "Are you describing yourself? Plus I didn't say anything about having a partner."

"Well then if you have no partner, then maybe I have a chance." He laughed a bit as her expression soured. "Okay, sorry sorry. I'm just teasing. I can't deny that you are a pretty girl."

"I do in fact have a boyfriend." She admitted. It was odd to say that, but it did feel nice to express it as it was finally true.

"Oh really?" Chase was clearly intrigued. "Is he tall and handsome just like me?"