Chapter Twenty-Six ✩ Halt

Time had altered at midnight. Gojo had left Kanae, but not to go back on his mission just yet. There was a need to take it all in. His body dipped into his bed a bit winded from it all. Everything that had just transpired was real. Her vulnerability to him, the rawness, everything she told him, the acknowledgment of his own feelings were real.

They hadn't known each other for long as the previous day made it two months since they met. But for him, it was quite a wait. Though, he couldn't deny how right it was to wait. It was too special, too perfect, something out of a movie.

Scratching his neck he watched the blank ceiling. His chest throbbing a way he wasn't used to. Previous girls never had him so captivated. He had his fun and he'd be over it, but this was lingering and stuck within him.

And he loved it.

Something about her altered his genetic make up. He wasn't one to be drawn to someone so much. Geto was an exception but, it was different with her. There was a side to him that she was making him realize. A vulnerability he never tapped into, but when he did, it made him realize that maybe he was worth love. He could have a future with someone. This life wasn't only going to filled with curses, but he could have a flourishing relationship with her.

He smacked his cheeks. This felt like something she would do. Already he was growing more like her. Pondering on moments way too long and far, but could he help it. Those kisses they shared meant everything to him. His lips still tingled from it. His body had vibrated at her touch and she had enjoyed it as much as he had.

It was a little desperate of him as he wished the feeling would never end. Grinning to this, he could picture her nervous face. The stutter that would accompany her as she made an attempt at a snarky remark. He would take the opportunity to catch her flustered and press a sweet savoury kiss on her lips.

The thought was too vivid which only led to him laughing to himself a bit. Slowly sitting up, the warm feel slowly turned cold. A new wave of guilt rushed into him.

The night wasn't just about kissing. Kanae had trusted him with a deeper part of her. He should've been happy, but he couldn't shake a twang of wrong in his chest.

As he sat up, his sight glanced at the line of DVDs he had an a shelf. He tried his best to avert his gaze, but they were intimidating him. Colourful as ever, all holding different meanings and memories that he adored, but one in particular felt...off. The moon grazed it, making it more prominent than the rest. He could feel his heart pounding, with the desire to escape him. An eerie feeling, a terrible fruit for thought when everything had just been perfect.

An ambiguous feeling raked at his chest. Deeply suppressed and irked to be released. A memory slotted so deep in his disk that he would never dare to recollect. Everything had been perfect, but as his eyes laid on that familiar DVD, he knew it was far from that. He wasn't allowed to revel in what he had just shared with her. The joy of life had come easy to him, but somethings repelled from him.

A need to be alone was branded on him since birth.

In a swift second, he was already pulling the familiar DVD off the shelf, ignoring the gut feeling that pleased him to not go further. Compared to the other DVDs, this one felt lighter. As he shook it, a small object cradled within continuing to contribute to his curiosity.

Turning the package over, he patted its back as the minuscule object rushed out dropping on the floor. His eyes widened as it dropped perfectly in the moonlight.

A moonstone-plated butterfly earring.

Just like Kanae's.

His heart began to race as his memory grew clear. It all made sense why he felt so nervous and guilty. Every time he saw Kanae, a nerve spurred in him and the talk of her mother agitated it. As he held the item in the palm of his hand, he sat on the edge of his bed. A bead of sweat sped down his forehead as he nervously laughed to himself. Of course something so absurd would happen to him.