Chapter 1: Irisha

Irisha, Kitchen and the Chaos

The aroma of spices filled the air as Irisha stood in the kitchen, her fingers deftly navigating through an array of different ingredients. Her long, brown hair were tied up in a bun. With her almond-shaped brown eyes and a hint of dimples when she smiled, Irisha looked cheerful as always.

Baking was her passion, and it was evident in the enthusiasm that radiated from her every move. But today she was messy as she moved between the stove and the countertop.

She had always been known for her baking skills, yet cooking was her weakness.

She was attempting to cook curry, a challenge she had gladly accepted from her brother Rishit but she now realised that was a blunder. It seemed that the universe had conspired against her. Ingredients were spilled, the spices were mixed up, and the curry turned an unappetizing shade of brown. It was as if chaos had decided to join her in the kitchen.

"Isha, bachha, do you need some help?" her mother's soothing voice called from the doorway as she looked up and found her mom entering the kitchen along with her chachi. Her mother and chachi, two warm and caring women, had always treated Irisha and her sibling with great love and affection.

Irisha sighed, looking at the mess before her. "I think I've managed to turn this into an entirely new dish, Mom."

Her Mother placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "It's all right, sweetheart, sometimes even the best of us aren't good at a few things."

Irisha smiled at her mother's comforting words and her chachi's proud look. She may not have conquered the world of savory dishes today, but there was one thing she could always rely on - her cakes, cookies, sandwiches, and coffee. Those were her specialties, and she took great pride in them.

"Mera kya, vaise bhi you guys are lucky. Meri haath ki dishes kha ke jeevan safal ho jana hai Kanha ji." (Whatever, anyways you guys are so lucky to get food from my hand because your life will be successful now) She dramatically sighed as the two elder ladies shook their head at her cleverness.

In the midst of the culinary chaos, her elder sister, Riya, appeared with a mop and a teasing smile. "Looks like you've got your own little monsoon in here, Isha. Need some cleanup assistance?"

Irisha playfully rolled her eyes. "Thanks, Riya di. That would be appreciated."

As they cleaned up the mess, her chachaji entered the kitchen, bringing with him a sense of joviality. Their son, Rishit, who was the same age as Irisha, followed closely behind. Rishit's day didn't go well untill he troubles Irisha and vice versa.

"Isha looks like we are having something special today." Her chacha asked with a teasing smile as Irisha passed him a sheepish look, "I was just trying to help ma and chachi, par khana mjhse pakta hi nhi, I am fine with my oven."

Everyone chuckled as she moved here and there to prepare a batter for her cookies knowing she will have to save the day somehow.

"Awe Mera bachha, it's okay, I will make sure your future husband knows cooking." Her Chachi teased her as Irisha scrunched her nose at the mention of her future husband, "No way chachi, I am not marrying anyone, not now atleast."

Her chachi and Mom looked at each other as they got a bit emotional, "Shadi to hum sbko krni hoti hai Isha." (All of us have to marry one day Isha) Her Mom spoke softly patting her head as Riya kept her head on her Chachi's shoulder and she hugged her back.

"Mai nhi krungi, Mai humesha aap sbke pass rhungi ma, wrna chachi aap btae wha meri pastries kon taste krega, ar chachu aap, kya mjhe wha koi aap jitna pyar krega ar fir mere papa ki subah mere haath ki adrak wali chai se hogi kya?" (I won't! I will always stay here, with you guys. Otherwise Chachi you tell me, who will taste my pastries there, and chachu you, will anyone love me as much as you guys do and then will my Dad's morning start with the tea I make for him?) Her family listened to her emotionally as they gently nodded at her knowing no matter what one day they will have to give farewell to all three daughters of the house.