chapter 21: I promise.

Yours~> 3 days married

"Do you really think he'll be able to move past this?" Khalil asks me as we leave my old room

It had been a day since the news of Elias's Baba's death and we knew that he needed to be surrounded by his people in this time.

Most of his family were coming by tomorrow but for tonight we just took him back to Baba's house and he was staying in my old room and Hala was staying at my house.

"I'm not sure bro but all we can do is make dua for him and the people that have been killed in this genocide." I reply, feeling helpless.

"The death toll has already reached 8000, Haadi, I don't know what Elias is gonna do if more people die." Khalil sighs, running a hand over his face.

"The only thing we can do in this is pray, Khalil. He's surrounded by us because Allah is testing him and many others and seeing how they get themselves through this. All we can do is guide him and make Dua that he sees past this." I reply, seeing Samir walk through the front door.

"Is he asleep?" Samir asks, taking his shoes off before he walks to us.

"Yeah, we had to give him some sleeping tablets but Alhamdulilah now he's sleeping." Baba answers for us all as he brings a tray of tea with him.

"I'll take that for you." I say, taking the tray from his hands.

"Jazahkhallah son but tell Hala to call if she wants to come home anytime okay?" Baba says as everyone takes the tea from the tray.

"I'll call her now, Baba." I reply, nodding as I set the tray on the living room table.

It was 9pm but I'm sure Hala would be up with Neha and Noor at the house.

Quickly ringing her, she picks up after a few seconds.

"Salam, I've been waiting all day for one of you guys to call! How's Elias?!" She asks, urgency in her tone.

What's up with her?

It was obvious that everyone would be upset about Elias but her voice sounded different, almost like she was desperate to know how he was doing...

"Hala, slow down for a sec. Baba just told me to call if you wanted to come home." I tell her, taking the call out to the front.

"No, no, it's fine. I'll stay here, Just let Elias get better." Hala quickly replies.

Hmm, now I know something was wrong.

Normally even at times like this when she's nervous or anxious, she'd be cracking a joke for a reaction or just to make time seem less miserable.

"Hala." I say, my tone flat.

"Haadi?" She says, quizzically.

"Tell me what's on your mind sis. I know you're not feeling okay today." I reply, opening the front door for a bit of fresh air.