Chapter 3: Doors and Dancers

"Miss. Hey Miss. I said we're here." 

By the tone of the Uber driver's voice it wasn't the first time he'd let me know we'd arrived. I'd been so lost in my head I hadn't even felt the car come to a stop. Looking out the window for the first time I noticed we were at what looked to be a Strip Club. How cliche could he get.

Exiting the vehicle I realised my super short red dress would fit right in at a place like this and gave a sad chuckle. Thinking of how I'd been so happy while putting it on hours ago for our ill fated anniversary dinner made my mood plummet even further. 

But I knew myself. Knew I needed to see with my own eyes what Grant had been up to on all those nights he left me alone. My brain was already telling me what I'd find, but my stupid heart, the part of me that loved him so much, refused to accept it. 

The bouncer gave me an appreciative once over as I approached the double doors leading into what would probably be the end of my life as I knew it. It felt like my heart might beat clean out of my chest while he checked my ID. 

I must have looked as anxious as I felt because his face turned from sexy to sweet in a moment. He handed back my ID and leaned down a little to speak quietly in my ear. 

"You'll do just fine sweetheart."

"Sorry?" 

"You'll do just fine in the Open Auditions. I wouldn't be surprised if you get offered a job on the spot. Plenty of men will pay good money to see what's under that little red dress." 

Looking down at my outfit I couldn't help but smile. It was a great dress. One of my classmates was still more than a little spoiled by her daddy and often gave me her hand me down clothes. She rarely wore anything twice and the rest of us were happy to take them off her hands. 

"I'm not here for the audition. I love to dance but I've never stripped. Wouldn't know how. I'm here to find my boyfriend. He's meant to be at work but the tracking app he installed on our phones shows him here." For some reason I pulled out my phone and showed the bouncer the App which placed Grant inside. He frowned at my phone and then his eyes ran over my face. 

"Shit I'm sorry. Just thought with you looking the way you do that you were here to try out. If he is inside when he's meant to be at work then he's a dick and you deserve better."

"I'm scared." 

Why was I word vomiting all over this poor man. 

"He hurt you?" The sweet smile was gone, replaced with a kinda scary look in his eye.

"Oh no, not like that. I'm scared that I'm going to find what I think I will when I walk through those doors and then the life I've built with the only man I've ever loved, the future I had planned for us will all be gone." 

"Yeah I get that. Been lied to by partners before myself and it fucking sucks. But just cause he's in a strip joint doesn't mean he's cheating. It's bullshit he lied about where he is and you should rip him a new one for that but maybe everything will be okay." 

The sad smile he gave me didn't reassure me. I bet he'd seen plenty of girlfriends and wives show up here looking for their wayward partners. 

I looked back at the street. Wondering if I really could do this. The bravado I felt after his call had all dried up. I was scared. Would we survive what I'd find inside.

"I know you're thinking of going home. I can see it on your face but as tough as it'll be, I think you deserve the truth. Want me to come with you?"

Looking at this man who's name I didn't even know I realised he was right. I had to do this. I had to be brave. I had to rock the boat. And him offering to come with me gave me the courage to do what I need to do. 

"Yes please."