✰ 24: what we say when it's over

"There's alarms going off at the facility, Commander.  I've got red alerts everywhere. What is going on?"

"The prisoner has escaped, sir. There's been a rescue mission.  Multiple attempts have been made to get her back, but we are failing."

"Then use your entire force!"

"We have, sir.  We've sent them all."

"How many are there?  How many clones and Jedi are a match for the hundreds of droids housed at your station?"

The T-series commander hesitated. "Three, sir.  And two Jedi. They've taken into the forest."

There was a loud sigh on the other end of the hologram.  "Three clones.  That's all?  And they managed to get her out of there?"

"Yes, sir."

"My Master needs that girl, droid.  Dead or alive.  As long as she is not in the clutches of Anakin Skywalker.  Follow them."

"Yes, sir."

— ★ ✰ ☆ —

"I'm going to try and flank them from behind!"

Bang.

"No, Rex, it's too risky! We can't lose the group."

Bang. Bang. More blasts.

"Then what do we do, General?"

"Just keep following Anakin," Kenobi shouted. "He's trying to lose them. There aren't many left now, so if you, Fives, and Jesse keep blasting them, it shouldn't be much longer."

"Yes, sir," Rex said. He took his blaster back out and began shooting at the 5 remaining droids on the speeders behind him. With a couple shots, he knocked out one of them, causing it to fall backward and leave its speeder spinning out of control, taking another droid with it.

"Good one!" shouted Jesse.

"There had to be at least 20 droids following us," said Anakin loudly, to Obi-Wan. "Why do they want Akya so bad?"

"I don't know," said his former Master. "But I'll tell you one thing. I don't like it at all."

Another droid gone. Then the last two, losing control of their speeders after shots by Fives and Rex and crashing into each other, causing a large explosion. Rex let Obi-Wan know the droids were no longer on their tail, and they sped up, making sure they weren't followed. They still took the long way back around to camp, but got there by sunrise. The cold became less and Akya could finally see Anakin's face in the light again.

When they got back, Anakin took her straight to the medical ward, where she was given a separate room so Kix could treat her extensive bruises and wounds, patching up what he could and giving her medication for the pain. Akya was groggy and anaesthized, but could hear what was going on around her— Kix was trying to get Anakin out of the room so he could have space to redo her stitches.

"General, I really need the room. And she needs rest."

"Kix, I really don't think—"

"She'll be okay,"  Kix looked him directly in the eyes. "I promise."

Anakin took a deep breath. "Let me know when she wakes up."

"Yes, sir," the medic nodded. "Get some shut-eye, General."

"I'll try." Anakin turned and left, and Akya finally drifted into that medically induced sleep.

— ★ ✰ ☆ —

Akya's eyes fluttered open about 12 hours later— then shut again due to the lights in the room.  She breathed in sharply and covered her eyes with her good arm, shielding herself from most of the unwelcome light.  Kix walked in with a smile. 

"Good morning," he said.

"It's morning?" she said quietly. 

Kix nodded.  "You've been out for an entire rotation."  He held a thermometer over her forehead and it beeped once, signaling an okay temperature.  "The hypothermia is gone, thank the makers.  How do you feel?"

Akya could finally open her eyes fully, now used to the influx of light.  "Alright," she said. 

"Those clankers banged you up pretty bad." He took a look at the stitches in her arm to make sure they were okay, and then down at her right leg, which had also sustained a large injury and had needed stitches.  Akya didn't remember much about it, but she assumed her skin had caught on a twig or something else in the cold, cold forest, and the droids has just continued dragging her along.

Akya sat up slowly. "I don't think they had any care if I lived or not."

"Do you know why they wanted you?"

Akya shook her head. "I wish I did."

"I'm going to let the Generals know you're awake."

"Thank you," Akya nodded.  Kix left, and within only a few minutes, Anakin rushed into the room she rested in, out of breath, hair disheveled, and not even wearing a cloak to shield the cold outside.  He stepped right up to her and threw his arms around her, and she did the same, burying her smile into his chest. 

"You saved me," she said.  "I didn't think anyone would even notice until morning.  I didn't think anyone would save me in time."

Anakin pulled away, looking into her eyes.  His own were welled with tears.  He tucked her hair away from her face and said, "I will never let anything happen to you, Akya.  Ever." Then he smiled. "So don't doubt me again."

"I won't," she replied. "Anakin, I know now. I believe in you more than I believe in anything in the entire galaxy."

He put his hand on her chest where her sun pendant rested under her robes. "Even this?" he asked.

"Even that," she nodded.

Akya's vision blurred from the influx of tears.  She wiped them away, but they just kept coming.  So quickly, she'd lost hope.  She'd nearly given up on the fantasy that they might come for her at all, only in an hour.  And even when she had stopped trying to connect, Anakin came for her.  He found her.  They all did.

She wouldn't ever let her faith waver again. He made her complete, and she meant what she said— she did believe in him more than anything else. More than the lucky sun pendant, more than the Jedi, more than all of her lucky charms. They brought her luck, but what Anakin brought her was much more believable: hope.

"I love you," she said to him, so silently, so carefully— she almost hoped he didn't hear it at all.

Anakin looked taken aback, perhaps slightly confused, but he did not move, nor look away from his eyes.  "I thought we weren't going to do that," he said.  "Fall in love."

"I changed my mind," she said.

Anakin moved closer to her once again, now taking her hands in his own.  "Akya, I have loved you since the moment we met.  I love you more than I love anything in the entire universe."

Akya looked longingly into his eyes.  "Be careful, Anakin."

"I think it's too late for that," he said.  He then sat on the bed next to her and moved his face closer to hers, finally giving her the reward of a soft, slow kiss.  It was too late.  Far too late to stop— and Akya didn't want to.  She knew all of this was wrong.  But she didn't want it to be over.

a.n.:

this is where it all begins. 

SCREAMING!!! you guys are finally here.  so glad.

i love you so much don't forget to vote ♡

molly