✰ 18: the sparring room

"Again. One."  Akya blocked high.  "Two."  Akya blocked left, horizontal.  "Three." She blocked low. "Four." She blocked right.  "Five." She blocked center, making sure her angles were good.

"Again," her master commanded.  "Faster.  One." High. "Two." Left.  "Three." Low. "Four." Right. "Five." Center.  "One. Two. Three. Four. Five."  They did these forms in circles around one of the sparring rooms.  Obi-Wan was very persistent that she should master the Soresu form, and though she was proficient in most lightsaber forms (being that she'd had so much time to practice them), Obi-Wan wanted her to know this one best.  According to him, "defense is the best offense," and she should always be ready to defend herself rather than attack.

Now, Akya no longer needed him to repeat the numbers for each form, as the routine was ingrained in her head. He was smiling now, and looked rather proud.  They did this routine three more times before Obi-Wan said, "and, rest." 

Akya retracted her lightsaber blade and her master did the same, still grinning. He clasped it back onto his belt.

"You did very well, Akya."

"Thank you, Master."

"You know, I think you may be ready—"

Akya knew what he was going to say. "Are we going to spar?" she interrupted.

"Well, I wanted to ask if you thought you were ready, but—"

"I'm ready." Akya was smiling, close to jumping from excitement. She'd never truly sparred with her master, only done routines like the ones they just did where their lightsabers clashed in an organized manner.

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Akya."

"I'm not, Master. I'm ready. I want to do this."

"Alright," he nodded. "But don't get discouraged if you lose, Akya. Failure is a part of learning."

"I won't."

"Very well. Then yes, we can spar."

"Thank you, thank you!" she said cheerfully. She stepped back into the center of the sparring floor and her master followed her, taking his lightsaber back off his belt.

"Ready positions," he said, igniting his blade. While he took to Form III, Akya readied herself with Form I, a more offensive take. They locked eyes, and Obi-Wan knew she was ready. Akya threw the first strike and Obi-Wan deflected easily. She pulled back, which gave her master room to attack, which he did swiftly and smoothly, missing Akya by just a moment. Akya went forward with another attack, this time targeting his left side, which was lesser guarded. They fought for about three minutes before Obi-Wan's skill overcame the young Padawan and she fell to the ground— her saber was still ignited, but she wasn't quick enough to counter her master's attack, and she looked back up to find Obi-Wan's blue blade just inches from her face. She was defeated.

Obi-Wan smiled at her, and she half-smiled back. He retracted his blade and she did the same. He then reached out a hand for her to take and helped her back onto her feet. "You did well," he told her.

"I want to go again."

His expression turned solemn. "Akya, I don't want you to become obsessed with this victory."

"I don't want to be victorious," she told him, going back to where she stood when they'd begun their spar the first time. "I want to be your equal. It may not happen today, and it may not happen tomorrow. But I do not strive to be better than you, Master, I strive to be just as good."

Obi-Wan smiled again. "Very well," he said. "Then we go again."

After two more sparring matches, Akya was defeated a total of three times, and both of them needed a rest. The second lasted just as long as the first, but by the third, Akya had identified patterns in Obi-Wan's methods, and was able to counter his attacks for a few minutes longer before she was met with a blade in her face once again.