Survival of The Fittest

"Ow!" Violet yelled, pulling her arm away from Abby.
"Violet, I can't fix it if you keep moving."
Violet sighed, holding still as Abby splinted her wrist, "Is it broken?" Abby shook her head. "No, no. You've got a nasty sprain though." Violet nodded in response, clearing her throat, "I'm sorry I got mad at you."
"It's alright. You're all set, but Violet..."
"What?"
"Take it easy. You're doing too much."

She rolled her eyes, standing up as Abby put her hand on her shoulder. "If not for yourself, do it for your mom." Violet had to blink a few times to even comprehend what Abby had just said to her.
Without another word she left the medical bay, walking outside. Tears of anger started running down her cheeks as she shoved her hands into the pockets of her jacket.

"Hey! You alright?"

She turned around, and Murphy was headed towards her, Jaha not far behind. "Leave me alone, Murphy."
"What? You don't want me around anymore?"
"Sorry." She muttered.
"Come on." Murphy held back a smile, sticking his hand out. "Is he coming?" Violet gestured towards Jaha, as Murphy sighed, "Yup."

She started walking with Murphy, Jaha leaving some room between them. "Why did that grounder punch you?" "Don't worry about it." "I wanna worry about it. I got stepped on trying to protect you." She pulled her sleeve up, showing him her wrapped arm. "You shouldn't have done that. I'm not worth it."
"You're the only one I've got, as stupid as that sounds. And I'm angry, I'm angry that nobody listens to me."
"Yeah, well I'm angry too." Murphy mumbled.

They continued walking through the woods, keeping an ear and eye out for any sign of the Grounders.
Eventually they reached where they were headed.

The Graves.

Jaha was looking for his son, again.
Murphy pointed to a grave on the far right, as Jaha knelt down next to it, seemingly breaking down.
Violet and Murphy paced around, quietly talking for almost an hour, waiting for him to get out his emotions or something.

Murphy stopped walking, "Are you about done? We gotta be heading back."

"How well did you know him?"

"Well enough to be hung for his murder."
He looked up in disbelief, unable to absorb what Murphy had said.
"Clarke sugarcoated it for you, didn't she?"

He stood up, "What happened to my son?"

"Twelve year old girl stabbed him in the neck with a knife she took from me."

"Why would she do that?"

"She couldn't kill you."

He was taken aback, shocked to hear those truthful words.

"Yeah, so you got a lot of blood on your hands, chancellors. And every one of them, including your son, would still be alive if you hadn't sent us down here." Murphy was pissed, and his anger was showing.
He didn't believe that Jaha had the right to mourn his son, while he was the one who led him to his death.

"If I didn't send you, they would have died on the Ark with the rest of us, and we would've never known that Earth was survivable. Their sacrifice is why we are here."

Murphy shook his head, opening his mouth to speak as Violet spoke first, "Survivable? Earth is barely survivable, you don't know anything!"

Jaha refused to hear her, as he walked away from the two. "Camp 'you', is that way!" Murphy pointed to the opposite direction, as Jaha dismissed him. "We'll rest at the drop-ship for a while."

"Suit yourself." Murphy sighed, holding out his hand as he led Violet towards the drop ship.
"This is ridiculous." She sighed, as Murphy nodded in agreement.

They sat on the top floor, the three of them.
Violet sat down next to Murphy, laying her head down on his legs as she curled up in a ball, taking the opportunity to rest as she closed her eyes.

Jaha opened what must have been a container of mints from his pocket, offering some to her and Murphy.
Murphy spoke for them both, shaking his head.

"Are you sure? You must be hungry."

"No one gives anything without expecting something in return."

"That's a cynical way to go through life, John."

"You pull me off work detail, you offer me food. Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Everyone deserves a second chance. That's why we sent The Hundred to the Earth in the first place."

"What a load of crap. You didn't give a damn about us. You still don't. That's why you're not fighting for those kids in Mount Weather."

"N-No, I have to think of everyone. I know you don't wanna hear this, but sometimes, you have to sacrifice the few to save the many. Like I said, good can come out of even the darkest acts."

"Then you can take it from me that no good has come from any of this. I was pardoned, slate wiped clean. I'm still treated like dirt, the only one I trust down here is a seven year old. You sent a seven year old down here, to near death."

"You've made mistakes. So have I."

"Well, I'm nothing like you, chancellor."

"No? We both should've died several times over. We both suffered at the hands of the Grounders. We both have been betrayed and imprisoned by our own people."

"So there's no place for any of us then, great. I thought you were supposed to be inspiring."

"There is a place, for all of us. When I first landed on Earth, I met a woman who spoke of a place, beyond the dead zone. A place where everyone is accepted. A City Of Light."

"That sounds like a fairy tale." Murphy laughed.

"Or a second chance."

"You don't know if it's real."

"You're right, I don't. But I believe."

"Okay. Well that's good for you, chancellor. Very good." Murphy sighed quietly, laying back on the floor as he made sure not to disturb Violet, as she had fallen asleep.

"I'm gonna find it John. And once I do, I'm gonna come back and lead my people home."