XXVI

It was when dark golden rays of sunshine hit Brett’s face as they stepped out the building when he grabbed Eddy’s arm. 
“Dude! How did your lesson go?”
A bunch of Queensland and Sydney con students stood just a few meters in front of them, but they had a moment before they were gonna reach them. Maybe by engaging Eddy into a topic he was comfortable sharing would ease his evident nervousness, manifested in the number of times he’d brushed through his hair the last minute or so.
Eddy tilted his head, fingers getting a bit calmer. “Insightful, I’d say. She’s a great violinist and had some helpful tips.”
“Good to hear! Anything specific you wanna share with your rival?”, Brett winked.
“Only if you’re gonna reveal some of your new superpowers”, Eddy smiled, definitely looking more relaxed and thus bringing Brett a silent cheer. If he would manage for Eddy to actually enjoy himself and the company tonight, Eddy might join them on a regular basis, which would improve this camp's quality substantially.

“Hey guys!”, Cole greeted, “Eddy! It’s so nice that you’re joining us!”
“Right?”, Brett exclaimed, giving the other a clap on his violin case-free shoulder. However, He couldn’t help but notice the surprised and rather curious glances the others threw at Eddy. And he caught how Eddy perceived it too, judging by how his knuckles suddenly turned white as a sheet. 
“Uhm… is it fine if I…”
“Of course!”, Angelica came to the rescue, her open smile genuine. Social animals brass gang for the win! “It’s gonna be fun. We’re heading for burgers tonight. Fine with you?”
“Uh… sure. Thanks”

Brett and Eddy trod behind the group as they walked towards the docks with some distance, just out of earshot. 
“You alright?”, Brett asked carefully. He didn’t want to come across overbearing, but he also really wanted Eddy to feel okay. 
But maybe, this simply wasn’t an environment the other would appreciate anyway. 
“Fine”, Eddy meant short-handedly, his eyes fixed on the backs of those in front of them. Not during the whole day had his demeanor been so similar to when they had first met.
“We can still…”
“No! It’s fine!”, Eddy said a bit louder, making Brett shut up instantly. 

The place Angelica brought them to was your typical modern, hip burger/fast food diner where vegan items could not yet be found on the menu. A few tables were set in front of the restaurant, which they immediately occupied, instruments placed next to them and thus filling the remaining space to the brim. 
A short glimpse at the menu sufficed for most to order their choice at the counter and soon enough, the tables were loaded with fried chicken, burgers and fries dripping with oil.

“So, Eddy!”, the one Brett was concerned most about shot across the table. Brett gave Lauren a what he hoped effective, warning look, but she paid him no attention. 
Eddy stuffed some fries into his mouth. “Yeah?”
“You know Brett’s gonna beat you, right?”
“Lauren! Please!”, Cole groaned from three seats away. 
To Brett’s relief, Eddy shrugged. “Maybe.”
“I’m Lauren, by the way. Principal violist of the Queensland con orchestra.”
“Violist, figures”, Eddy said, not even bothering to lower his voice. Brett almost snorted his bite of burger out. 
“And what does that mean, if I may ask?”, she hissed, eyes narrowed to slits.
Another handful of fries landed in Eddy’s mouth. “The first thing you do is prophesying my failure and you still need to ask?”
“I’m just stating the truth”, she said, nose raised so high Brett wished he had sat himself next to her so he could have forcefully pressed her face into the generous pool of ketchup in front of her. 
Instead, he let out a warning, “Lauren…”
“It’s fine”, Eddy whispered to Brett, “Let her get it out of her system.”
“What?”, she yelled, “You should be thankful I’m rooting for you, Brett!”
“I told you I don’t want anyone rooting for me. Just leave him alone!”
The others at their table had gotten quiet long ago, observing the back and forth with big eyes while munching on their burgers.
“He does play well”, Eddy stated, his tone genuine, dissipating all tension with just these four words. Brett looked at him. 
“I get why you think he’ll win. I won’t let him beat me that easily though.” 
A self-certain grin, forged through years and years of perfecting his craft. Brett shuddered as if the temperature had unexpectedly dropped thirty degrees.
Lauren leaned back with her arms crossed. “Hmm”, she smiled, “Interesting.”
“That good enough for the principal violist of the Queensland con? Don’t worry! I’m a worthy opponent for Brett.”
Worthy? Brett was sure he was gonna be crushed by this guy next to him sooner or later. Once again, a sense of regret washed over him for sending in that tape months ago, along with an urge to slap his past self in the face. 
But there was also a tingling, an excitement. Even though they were, or at least he hoped they were, slowly becoming friends, Eddy wasn’t gonna go easy on him. And neither did Brett intend to. 
“Way to go, mate!”, Nathan, sitting by Eddy's other side, yelled and gave him a hard slap on his back, causing Eddy to lose a fry or two, “Damn! You know your way with words, huh!”
“Compared to you he does”, Cole commented dryly, making their table erupt in laughter and Nathan to shout an outraged “Hey!”
“But seriously! Why did you avoid Brett in the beginning? You seem like a nice guy, no? It was painful to watch, man!”
It might have been subtle, but it didn’t go past Brett how Eddy tensed up. Again, the whole table fell silent, all eyes on the Sydney con’s contestant. 
“Uhm..”
“You don’t need to answer that, Eddy”, Angelica, sitting opposite of them next to Lauren, said. 
He eyed her doubtfully and Brett cut in, “Isn’t it obvious? Who wouldn’t wanna get out of the way of a pushover like I am?”
Another round of laughs and a small exhale from Eddy. Brett’s hand under the table moved over on its own accord, finding Eddy’s fingers and giving them a small squeeze.
“True”, Nathan agreed, “Guess it’s not that surprising.”
“Nah, it isn’t really”, Brett added and quickly asked the others about their rehearsal to change the topic.
He didn’t miss Eddy’s grateful gaze resting on him for the rest of the meal.