Chapter 49: Shamelessly Asking Zhang Yiru for Medicine

Wang Min and Sun Zhichao were excited when they heard that Zhang Yiru had medicine! When facing death, people would grasp at any straw for survival. Sun Zhichao struggled to say, "Is this true? Does he... really have medicine?" Wang Min stared at Fang Yuqing and said, "Fang Yuqing, don't lie! Because of you, several of us are seriously injured." Hearing Zhang Yiru's name now made her shudder.

Fang Yuqing explained, "About a month ago, Zhang Yiru seemed to change completely. He started frantically stockpiling things at home. I could see trucks delivering goods to him almost every day. Once, I saw a pharmaceutical company's truck coming to the neighborhood, and Zhang Yiru went to receive it. Then, they carried two big boxes into his house. There must be medicine inside."

Zhou Ke'er added, "Antibiotics are not rare medicines. If he knew about the disaster in advance and stockpiled goods, he must have a large supply of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs." As a doctor, Zhou Ke'er was confident about this.

Sun Zhichao, seeing a glimmer of hope, had a hint of madness in his eyes. "Then go find Zhang Yiru, let him bring the medicine to save my life! My injury is caused by him, so he must save me!"

Wang Min, with a conflicted expression, said, "But such an incident just happened. He must be disgusted with us! Why would he give us medicine?"

Ge Jialiang, in intense pain, lying on the sofa, moaned, "Oh, I feel like I'm going to die. Come up with a solution! Go beg Zhang Yiru, make sure he saves us!"

Fang Yuqing added, "We didn't harm him. We even planned to leave some supplies for him after breaking in. It's him who doesn't recognize kindness and attacked us. We are the just side; what's there to be afraid of?"

Hearing these words from the group, Zhou Ke'er basically understood what had happened. There was a look of speechlessness in her eyes, but she didn't comment. She opened the medical kit, took out gauze, and started to stop the bleeding for several people. The medical kit was almost empty. The medicines she kept at home were for emergencies and wouldn't be too much. Also, helping several neighbors over the past few days had depleted her stock. If Wang Min and the others couldn't get medicine, she might only be able to help by pulling out the arrows and awkwardly bandaging the wounds. At least... it could make their deaths less painful.

The group of people spoke with grand words, still thinking they did nothing wrong. They were just trying to survive; what could be wrong? Blame could only be placed on Zhang Yiru for being too selfish. Why should he enjoy such good living conditions alone?

After thinking for a while, Wang Min suddenly pointed at Fang Yuqing. "You handle this matter! I know that Zhang Yiru pursued you before, so you're the most suitable for this." Sun Zhichao and Ge Jialiang weakly agreed. After all, all of this was caused by Fang Yuqing. If she hadn't told them about Zhang Yiru's situation and assured them that Zhang Yiru's house was not well-defended, they wouldn't have foolishly gone over.

Although Zhou Peng was reluctant to let Fang Yuqing ask Zhang Yiru, the severe pain in his arm and the danger of death made him choose to stand with Wang Min. He said to Fang Yuqing, "Yuqing, we are a collective, right? Please do us a favor in this matter. We can protect you if we all stay alive."

Fang Yuqing looked conflicted, and her inner reluctance was evident. After all, she had been insulted by Zhang Yiru before. However, she had no choice now. Only by relying on her relationship with Zhou Peng could she join this group. Otherwise, as a weak woman with no skills other than being cute and having a pretty face, she would be worthless in the apocalypse. Other teams wouldn't choose to let her join, and even if she could join, she might end up being treated as a plaything.

Zhou Ke'er picked up the scalpel. With limited conditions, sterilization was not possible. Even if there was an alcohol lamp, it would freeze at this temperature. Moreover, without medication, the current sterilization was meaningless work. She asked Sun Zhichao to bite a towel, and then she started to pull out the arrows. The scene of a surgery without anesthesia quickly produced pig-like screams, and Sun Zhichao almost bit through the towel!

Everyone in the room felt chills, urging Fang Yuqing to ask Zhang Yiru for medicine. Fang Yuqing, with a brave face, dialed Zhang Yiru's WeChat voice call.

"Beep... Beep... Beep..."

Zhang Yiru was at home, preparing to eat. Strangely, even though it was his first time killing someone, his heart was unexpectedly calm. There was no fear. Instead, there was an excitement of revenge. He was very satisfied. In the survival of the apocalypse, this kind of mentality was necessary. He was originally afraid he might vomit or have trouble sleeping after killing, but the extreme situations he had experienced made it difficult for anything to break his mental state.

At this moment, his phone rang. Seeing that it was a call from Fang Yuqing, he widened his eyes, a hint of surprise in the corners of his mouth. "Oh? Did you call to scold me after I beat you so badly just now?" Without hesitation, Zhang Yiru answered. The worse they were, the happier he felt.

He turned on the speakerphone and started making lunch in the kitchen. "Hello, what's the matter?" Zhang Yiru's voice was very gentle, as if he hadn't just killed Lu Tao and shot arrows at Sun Zhichao and others.

However, the more gentle his tone, the more the group of people felt a chill. Fang Yuqing, under everyone's gaze, also chatted with external audio.

She begged, "Zhang Yiru, Lu Tao is dead, Zhou Peng and others are hit by you and are about to die. Ugh..." She cried miserably, seemingly trying to gain Zhang Yiru's sympathy.

However, Zhang Yiru casually said, "Oh, dead is dead. Sooner or later, everyone will die. It doesn't matter whether it's early or late." Holding a knife in his hand, he approached the microphone and said in a haunting tone, "Do you think you can survive this snow disaster?" This voice sounded like it came from hell, making Wang Min and the others shiver. Zhang Yiru had spoken their deepest fear. The heavy snow had isolated their building. Even if they survived now, their supplies would quickly run out. Even if they weren't killed by Chen Zhenghao, they would freeze or starve to death.

Trembling, Fang Yuqing pleaded, "Zhang Yiru, I know I was wrong. It's all my fault for not agreeing to your pursuit. But now I want to change. Can you forgive me?"