Chapter 80: Snowmobile

The neighbors felt as if they had encountered a savior. Even those who were resigned to death, wrapped in blankets at home, now had a glimmer of hope in their eyes.

"Zhang Yi, can you really go out and bring back supplies? If so, we can survive!"

"Although the city is snowed in, the supplies produced in our society over the past few decades are enough for us to survive!"

"Zhang Yi, I'm truly... so moved!"

"Back then, we treated you so badly, and now..."

Some people choked up. Most of them had lost family members at the hands of Zhang Yi. Yet, their hatred seemed to vanish, replaced by gratitude.

Zhang Yi solemnly stated, "Since I've become the leader of this building, I have a responsibility to each and every one of you."

"And my household supplies are running low. Going out to find resources is our only way to survive."

Zhang Yi's words reassured everyone. In the post-apocalyptic era, claiming to be a good person often made others think you were hypocritical. But when personal interests were at stake, people considered it normal.

It had been nearly a month since the apocalypse began. Many neighbors had lost family members to starvation, and they believed that even if Zhang Yi had hoarded a lot of supplies, there would come a day when they would run out. Moreover, with only two people in his household now, the consumption rate was faster.

The neighbors were grateful to Zhang Yi, praising him as if he were a deity. Even Zhou Ker couldn't help but joke, "If you establish a cult now, you could be the cult leader!"

In times of disaster, religions often developed rapidly because people needed a spiritual anchor.

Zhang Yi chuckled, "No need to make it so complicated with a group of cannon fodders. I can make them feel closer to me than their own fathers with just a moldy steamed bun."

Zhou Ker asked curiously, "But are you really going out?"

Her eyes showed a hint of concern and guilt. Zhang Yi understood; she probably thought he didn't have many resources left and felt she was burdening him.

Zhang Yi pinched her tender face and smiled with narrowed eyes, "Don't worry, the supplies at home are enough to sustain you. I'm just finding a suitable opportunity to check the situation outside."

"If we're in this kind of relationship now, do you think I would still doubt you?"

"Women should stay at home and wait for their men to return!"

Zhang Yi stood up slowly. Zhou Ker's eyes showed a moment of touched expression, but it didn't last long. Zhang Yi quickly put the remaining food and coal in the house into his space.

"I trust you one hundred percent!"

Zhang Yi said with a smirking smile.

Zhou Ker: "..."

She looked speechless. She had just been moved by Zhang Yi, but he immediately reverted to his usual self.

Ignoring Zhou Ker's resentful expression, Zhang Yi went back to the room to change clothes. This was the first time he chose to leave the building after the apocalypse.

The temperature outside was very cold. Even wearing a professional-grade mountaineering suit from the national mountaineering team, Zhang Yi could still feel a chill. However, this kind of cold wouldn't affect him; after some outdoor activities, his body would warm up.

He held the crowbar in his hands, not too fast nor too slow, carefully descending the stairs.

Before leaving, he would always observe the surrounding conditions.

No problem, proceed carefully.

There were no incidents along the way; after all, people who overestimated their abilities were very rare.

Zhang Yi arrived on the fourth floor. Due to the actions of the Heavenly Alliance and others, most residents had moved to higher floors, and there were almost no people living below the tenth floor.

Zhang Yi pushed the door open. Inside was a mess, the windows had long been smashed, and even the not-so-sturdy anti-theft window had been opened with a large hole.

The wind rushed into the building through this hole, making a whistling sound.

Zhang Yi carefully climbed out through the hole.

His feet landed on the ground, and the snow didn't reach his knees due to the increasing accumulation. However, because the snow had solidified, it didn't make him sink entirely.

But walking on this kind of snow was still difficult.

Zhang Yi raised his head and looked around. The vast Yue Lu residential area was silent, with nothing in the air but the sound of the wind. He didn't see anyone watching him through the windows.

He took out the snowmobile from his space. It was already filled with fuel before he came. Driving this kind of vehicle wasn't complicated. After a little contemplation and reading the instructions, he figured out how to operate it.

He mounted the vehicle, turned the key, and the engine roared to life.

Zhang Yi drove the snowmobile, heading towards the outside of the residential area.

As he left the community, Zhang Yi seemed to sense that some people were watching him through the windows. This wasn't surprising, considering there were no human traces outside now, and the sound of the snowmobile was quite loud.

"Looks like there will be people harboring greed for this snowmobile in the future!"

Zhang Yi smiled with a cold expression.

He wasn't afraid to reveal the existence of the snowmobile. Many people were already eyeing him. Moreover, in the current situation, people would kill for a biscuit.

In Zhang Yi's words, it was better to get rid of debts than accumulate them.

The heavy snow covered many short houses, and the streets were invisible. However, having lived here for more than twenty years, Zhang Yi could roughly determine the direction through those landmark buildings.

So, for him, getting lost wasn't a problem.