Unwelcomed Guest

The Crescent Royal Palace was the largest in Europe, and it took many guards to make rounds to cover the palace's surroundings. It was important for guards to pass a guard for at least five minutes. Any longer then there was trouble.

It was early morning then, and it seemed normal as a guard approached another guard who appeared to be staring out into the distance. "You shouldn't be standing there like an idiot," he said, grinning when he approached his fellow guard, who kept his gaze out to the distance.

"There's someone out there," he muttered as he slowly reached for his gun.

"You kidding," he chuckled, then turned to where his friend was staring. He saw nothing wrong, only trees and bushes, "I think you've been doing this for so long."

"You're a trouble excuse for a guard," a rough, husky voice echoed in the forest, which got them both frozen. A scary-looking man stepped out from behind a tree. He had a stone-cold look, and he meant nothing more than business. His sandy blonde hair, which could be mistaken for light brown, was messy like he had no care, and his golden brown eyes narrowed to the guards who stood gawking at him. "I came to speak with your king," his Russian accent was clear and cold like him.

"And who are you?" The one who pointed out there was someone asked with an emotionless face.

They gasped when the man's golden brown eyes turned red, "I'm Maxim, King Johnson's trusted right-hand man, and I must talk with Nate." He retorted, flashing his fangs.

*~*~*~*

Laura's POV

"Tomorrow, we get to know the genders of the twins?" Nate asked, taking a sip of coffee while staring at Hades, who was learning piano.

I nodded and smiled warmly, then placed my hand on my big bump, "Yep, and I can't wait to know if they are both girls or boys or girl and boy." Then I glanced over to Nate, who was staring at my bump, and I chuckled, "And I know you'll have a heart attack knowing they girls and have them locked up away from big bad wolves." I joked.

He groaned under his breath and rolled his eyes, "I know how boys are, and I don't want my girls to be harmed in any way. Also, it would be nice for a daughter to spoil rotten 'cause it looks to me that our little boy has grown up." He said and looked at Hades, who was listening to his teacher with full-on concertation.

I, too, stared at Hades, and I hate to say this, but he was grown up even though he was a five-year-old, "He's still our baby...." I said, then glanced at Nate, who looked like he was getting a mind link. He suddenly jumped onto his feet, "what's wrong?" I asked.

He looked panicking and angry, "It's nothing, but I must head to my study; there's something I need to deal with." He hurriedly said, giving me a quick peck on the lips, then rushed out.

Hades glanced at his father from the corner of his eyes as Nate stormed out of the music room. Then Hades glanced at me, and I gave him an encouraging smile. But he gave me a slight nod and then returned to the lesson.

Did he give me the go-ahead? I asked myself, and then I knew I needed to go and get answers myself if I wanted answers. So I stood quietly and walked out; two guards stood outside the music room and quickly bowed once they saw me. "Keep an eye on Hades," I ordered, then picked up my pace, heading to Nate's study before those guys decided one should accompany me.

*~*~*~*

Nathan's POV

Why was he here?

What did he want?

Did John send him over to kill me, or did Maxim want answers from me... Did he want revenge for betraying John?

All I knew was that I must protect my mate and pups from this monster, and I wasn't going to forgive up without a fight. As I got closer to my study, Sean saw me, quickly bowed, and followed beside me. "Was anyone hurt?" I asked cause if anyone in the palace got hurt or, worse, killed because of that madman, I would never forgive myself, and Laura would find out from others.

Sean shook his head 'no', "he scared the guards, of course, but he never attacked them in any way. He wants to have a word with you, that's it." He said.

Once we reached my study, two guards who stood there quickly bowed and pushed the doors open. As I entered my study, cold chills rolled down my spine when my eyes landed on his cold, raging eyes as he stood up from his seat in front of my desk. I kept an emotionless face and narrowed my gaze at him as he, too, narrowed his gaze at me.

Chilling silence and tension were filled in my study as none of us said a word to each other, only hate-filled gazes thrown at each other. But of course, Sean, being Sean, knew time was being worsened and cleared his throat loudly, "Let's say what we all know what we're thinking." He said, but Maxim and I did not take our gaze from each other. "Yes, we sided with the witches and attacked the vampires in the weakest, and there's no apology out there that changed everything. So what are you doing here?" He asked.

Once more, there was silence until Maxim said his piece, "I need your help..." He said in a cold tone, but it was still shocking for both Sean and me. Maxim, the biggest and most badass vampire who preferred to work alone, was asking for help. That was one great turn of events. "I know you're surprised to hear those words coming out of my mouth, but I have no choice, and I know I can... 'Trust' you."

"And what makes you believe that I trust you?" I asked, lifting an eyebrow as my fists clenched in the urge to punch this vampire's face for making a daring visit to my home.

"Because I know you would help John even after betraying him."

"Then why isn't he here asking for help?" I asked angrily; a growl was threatening to roar out from my throat.

"That's the problem. John and the high-class vampires still need to be included. One minute, they were having a meeting. The next, they needed to be included. I tried looking for them all on my own, but there was no luck, and I know I can never trust those witches, and you're my last option."

I growled, "How would I know this isn't a trap for you to grab your chance to rip my head after all that has happened?"

Suddenly, I noticed the corner of his lips slightly tilted, "Luna Queen, you look more beautiful since the last time I saw you." He said as he bowed.

My body tensed as I slowly turned, and I saw an angry Laura glaring at me with her arms crossed. "Is that why you haven't been talking about John? Did you betray him? Did you betray your friend!?" She growled, her grey eyes glowed filled with hurt and rage.

"Laura--"

She cuts me off with a growl, "NO! I want answers now. I'm tired of being in the dark."

Maxim chuckled darkly, "Your mate doesn't know why you are on edge." He said, earning a growl of warning from both Sean and me.

"Nate, tell me now or swear to the moon goddess, I'm going to force my way through your secretive mind to get answers!"

I kept this secret from her for five years, lying to her about our reason for being here, and she trusted me even though I never answered her questions. I knew she had the power to peek into my mind to get answers, but she respected my privacy, and I still kept these secrets and kept lying to her. All I wanted was to protect her and our children, keep them away from my sins and mistakes.

"There have been visions and rumours of the King of Vampires deciding to become the new Dereck of this modern world. Taking the supernatural community under his rule, even the humans at first, I found the idea stupid and ignored them. But after the Lycan Brothers were defeated and you recovered, the witches thought it was our chance to attack the vampires since their guard was down. Of course, I never wanted to. Then, you had a vision of the vampires planning their attack. I saw your vision, and I knew I had no choice. So I sided with the witches."

She gasped in shock and parted her lips to say something, but she closed it and then glanced at Sean, who had his own. Then she looked at me. "There could've been an easier way..."