Escape!

Laura's POV

Today, the council and Maxim decided the future of Jay, Eleanor, Jasmine and Isaac's punishment for their crimes. Also, it was Nate's return after a month of 'rest', and I knew he didn't want to miss this trial because it would be difficult. We had to acknowledge their crimes against the vampires and also Jay's murder of his mate, but then there was the issue of them helping us in our fight against the Doves.

It was a tense morning as everyone quietly entered the council room. As Nate and I walked in, everyone stood and bowed their heads in respect for us except Maxim; why am I not surprised? Nate and I took our seats, and everyone followed after, taking their seat. There was silence in the room, and all eyes were on us, "Alpha King and I, Luna Queen, greet you and thank you for coming for today's agenda. We are to decide the punishment for the rogue lycan, Jay, for murder and also involvement with the blood poisoning. Then we have the sea witches, Eleanor and Jasmine, and traitorous vampire Isaac for blood poisoning." I said with an emotionless tone and look. "Now let us discuss the issue, starting with the blood poisoning."

Elder Lee stood up and bowed his head, "five years ago, during the Lycan Brothers' conflict, the vampires were suddenly attacked through their food source, blood. This blood poison weakened vampires and even killed vampires in the process. Jay aids the sea witches in making this; he provides them with a wolf's bite, and they make this blood poison. Then it was Isaac, working with a famous blood supplier to ensure this blood poison was in the blood meant for the vampires. After that happened, Isaac faked his death and disappeared." He said everyone stayed silent.

He continued, "We have recorded admission from all four. Then we have rogue lycan Jay, who openly admitted to murdering his mate. So now, as a council, we must come together to decide their punishment, but before this, we must hear what they say." He bowed his head and then took his seat.

Of course, Maxim sneered, rolling his eyes, and Elder Reed stood; she bowed her head, "Before they call in to say their piece, they can at least remember what they have done for us during our fight with the Doves. Without the sea witch, we wouldn't have located the Doves and their support in the mission, saving some lives during the fight." She said, bowed, and took her seat.

I glanced at Nate; he kept a cold face and then nodded to Sean, Beta Sean, let them in." He ordered. Sean opened the doors, allowing Jay, Isaac, Eleanor and Jasmine to enter the room. I sighed in relief when I saw they weren't cuffed like criminals; they walked to the centre of the room, and all had emotionless faces. Once the doors beamed closed, Nate spoke, "As you all know, you are all charged with blood poisoning and Jay, you are also charged with murdering your mate. This time, we, as the council, listen to your side and reasoning. Remember, whatever you say will make our decision for your punishment."

Maxim banged his hands on the table, gaining everyone's attention, "I suggest death, especially for the vampire!" He hissed, glaring at Isaac when he said this. I noticed Jasmine grabbing Isaac's hand, and he squeezed her hand; I was still curious as to why she would marry a vampire.

"Maxim," Nate growled under his breath. Maxim rolled his eyes and leaned against his seat, folding his arms across his chest. Nate glanced down at the charge and nodded to encourage them to speak their piece.

Eleanor shrugged, "Same reason why you werewolves sided with the witches. We saw them planning to go against everyone and rule over everything. So it was a simple thing to do," she said it like it was nothing and lifted her brow. Isaac snorted but covered it with a laugh, but Maxim heard, and he narrowed his heated glare on Isaac. I glanced at Jasmine, who was surprisingly quiet, but she looked deep in thought like everything around her wasn't happening.

"I, too, believed in their cause, if I'm being honest," Jay said, then glanced up at me. "When I was a boy, I was wandering in the woods when I met this strange little girl. She was interesting and kind, and from that night, we became friends. With time, we grew older and developed feelings for each other. But I was to be an Alpha and lead by example to mate with my soulmate. My wolf cried for our soulmate, but my heart beat for my first and only love. I was ready to run away from my future duties to be with her. I didn't care that my wolf would kill me, but I loved her, but as fate had it, there was the vision of the vampires, and she had her ideas."