Chapter 1

"Niranjan"

A loud firm voice echoed in the hall, commanding obedience, stopping him in his tracks.

He turned to face the one and only Alok Suryavanshi, the King of Jodhpur. 

Even though his age is showing up, his aura has not changed.

"Father...."

"Meet me in the study"

Without waiting for a reply, Alok walked away . Not having any other option Niranjan followed.

The moment he stepped inside, he was surprised to find his uncle , Ashutosh Suryavanshi and both their wives, Reva Suryavanshi and Padmini Suryavanshi.

" What is this all about , Father"

"First have a seat , Niranjan "

Seeing them all together,  Niranjan had a fair idea what this was all about . He did not become the no.1 business man for nothing. But cautious as ever , he didn't want to jump to conclusion.

"I think it is time you take up your responsibility." Alok stated not beating around the bush

" What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean , Niranjan "

"No, I don't " Niranjan retorted while controlling the simmering anger.

The tension cracking in the atmosphere was evident for everyone.  It was like two lions facing each other, none ready to back down.

Trying to diffuse the situation,  Reva spoke up

"We are talking about your coronation,Beta"

" Yes, Beta. We all are of the opinion that we should not delay it further. We usually conduct it soon after the marriage. First you delayed citing Dhru's marriage and then...." Ashutosh trailed off.

"And then what Uncle?" Niranjan knew he was goading them but it didn't matter. The pain and anger coursing through him was screaming at him to let loose but years of training helped him to stay in control.

"Don't, Niranjan.  We all know what you were upto in the past 5 years. We didn't stop you but that doesn't mean we will continue to always bow down to your wishes. There are times we need to be practical rather than let our heart rule our mind.We may be modern but are still bound to our traditions and culture." Alok tried to be stern

"Yes....Isn't it those traditions and culture that destroyed an innocent life?" Niranjan didn't waste the opportunity to mock them back

"Beta, you know what was the situation then."

His Uncle's justification only fueled the fire in him more.

"We took the decision based on evidence. Our hands were also tied. They are also our children....." Ashutosh tried to explain

" Are they..? If you considered them as own then what happened would not have happened. He was just a responsibility to you all....an orphan..."  Niranjan interrupted his uncle harshly.

"NIRANJAN......"

Alok was shaking with fury.

As a son, Niranjan wanted to apologize for the blatant disrespect but the brother in him refused to bow down.

"You can scream all you want. But truth does not change. If Aniket Chachu was alive , maybe he would have been still with us"

Saying this , Niranjan buttoned up his coat and turned to leave. But he stopped at the door  and the words he then uttered shook the floor beneath both his father's and uncle's.