Chapter 11 - Battle of Glarig

Wilhelm had set up camp in asquith. The locals were very excited to see him since most of them were former slaves that he had freed when the first conquered the town. Wilhelm could hardley believe that Berlin had grown into a much bigger city than this. He was also happy the townspeople were helping out the army by fetching and carrying supplies.

Wilhelm was looking gazing at the Imperial Guard who were being drilled by Serina. They had already cemented their reputation as the most elite unit in the prussian army, having caught the infamous Cat Burgler of Hammond trying to breake into the Imperial Palace a while ago. Their glistening white and gold uniforms had earned the respect of the men, and now it was time for them to prove it.

Wilhelm could hear the galloping of a horse in the distance and turned to see Lady dismounting her horse.

"The Bavarians are on the march! King Leopold is personally sending the entire army through the Glarig Valley." Lady shouted, she was exhausted and out of breath.

"How long until they reach the mountains?" Wilhelm asked.

"About three days, sir!" Lady reported. Aires, Serina, and the other commanders and officers looked at Wilhelm to see what he would order next. Even the soldiers and their sergeants stopped and looked at the important moment. Even Felix, who had insisted on seeing the army off, stopped and gazed on at the scene.

"Very well, Major Aires. Have the regiment form into collum and begin the march to the Glarig valley Wilhelm said calmly." Wilhelm ordered, Aires saluted in acknowledgement and took a deep breath.

"Regiment! Prepare to march in an hour!" Aires shouted, Serina and the battalion commanders saluted and started to organise their men and supplied. The Artillery was hitched to the horses, and the Battalions formed into collum, and Aires gave the order to advance. "Regiment! Forward march!" And the army marched away before Felix said his goodbyes to Wilhelm, who the latter had put him in charge of Prussia while he led the campaign.

As they all marched Wilhelm smiled at the troops on horseback. They returned the curtesy by saluting. In all truth Wilhelm was nervous. He had fought before, but it was the first time the Prussian army would actually engage in armed combat. Serina noticed Wilhelm's anxiety and rode up beside him.

"Nervous, sir?" She asked.

"No! No, of course not. Ok, maybe slightly." Wilhelm admitted.

"It's alright, me and Aires have our full confidence in you." Serina assured.

"I know, not that I don't welcome your company. But I wish Alfreda was here." Wilhelm wished.

"I know, sir, but that would've meant she could get killed." Serina said.

"Yeah, I know." Wilhelm admitted sadly. After a day of marching, the army had finally reached the Glarig valley. To the West stood a mountain and a forest upon a high hill. To the East stood a group of very large mountains. Wilhelm had planned to place artillery upon mountains of both the West and Eastern mountains that would catch the Bavarian army in a crossfire and allow the infantry to advance. Once the bombardment had ended, the infantry would have taken up position in order to fire on the stunned Bavarian army.

"Sir are you alright?" Aires asked.

"I feel bad about Felix. About, leaving behind with this immense responsibility. And I've hardly spoken to him since." Wilhelm worried.

"I don't think it's been all bad, he has a chance to prove himself. To support the country while the Army is away." Aires explained.

"I suppose so, but I've also neglected to talk to Mary aswell. My oldest freind who cared for me and my mum even though no one else would." Wilhelm explained.