Chapter 23 - Great Depression

Wilhelm had woken up to the sound of knocking on the door, it was five months after Wilhelm's Uboat inspection. 

"Come in!" Wilhelm said, exhausted. It was Hellena, bringing Wilhelm his breakfast and the Die Welt newspaper aswell as the Berliner Zeitung. The former being a German newspaper focused on internation events and the latter focusing on internal affairs within the German Empire. At the same time Wilhelm's new cat: Marta came through with Hellena. Wilhelm received Marta as a gift from King Leonidas, and he decorated Marta with an Iron Cross since one day she had caught twenty mice in a single day. It was the little things like that, that put joy into Wilhelm's day.

She crawled up to the bed and jumped up on the end of the bed and curled up in the warm covers

She crawled up to the bed and jumped up on the end of the bed and curled up in the warm covers. Hellena put the tray on Wilhelm's lap as he straightened himself up. 

"Thank you Hellena, you didn't need to do that." Wilhelm thanked.

"All part of the job your majesty." Hellena said, bowed, and then exited the room. Wilhelm looked upon his two fried eggs and bacon, along with two small sausages. Wilhelm always loved a warm meal in the morning. After eating the sausages Wilhelm took a look at the Berliner Zeitung. The headline: 'The Reichmark is worth more than Gold! A golden age is upon us!'

"Well that's good news I wonder what the cause of this is." Wilhelm then looked at another article which stated that the first railway had been built, a line going from Berlin to Tautendorff, the Bavarian provincial capital. Wilhelm was always amazed with the RAD ministry, they always develped technology that was years ahead of the technolgy common throughout the continent. This was partially thanks to the genious of Imperial Scientists but also thanks to magic, the latter speeding up innovations drastically in way Wilhelm could not comprehend. "Nice I'm glad that's built now, I need to organise with Ida when I'm going to officially open the line." Wilhelm then continued to eat his breakfast, after he had finished he took the Die Welt newspaper and read the headline. "Persia causes the Great Depression!"

Wilhelm spat out his drink and rapidly read the article. 'Many countries now into serious debt as Persia refuses to make loan repayments. The value of gold has crashed and German Reichmarks are now worth more than Gold. New gold cannot be obtained as the best deposits are within the German Empire. Even Persia is suffering due to food and water shortages and other countries had embargoed Persia due to the lack of repayments. 

"Hah! The idiots! Those utter fools!" Wilhelm cheered and laughed, causing Marta to jump off the bed.. This eventually caught the attention of Ida and Serina in the other room who rushed inside.

"You majesty?" Serina asked.

"Look at this!" Wilhelm said extatically, proudly giving her the Die Welt newspaper. Ida and Serina read it.

"Would you look at that." Serina remarked.

"I always knew that this deal would go sour eventually." Ida stated. "This Emperor 'Darrian' III is incompetant to say the least."