Chapter 12 - Watch Your Horses Bleed

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining me today in the shadow of our smashing victory against Bavaria! First off, before we discuss business, I would like to propose a toast to a Prussian victory in this war." Wilhelm then raised his glass of wine and gave his toast. "Gott mit uns!"

"Gott mit uns!" Everyone shouted and drunk their glasses as Wilhelm drank his with a gleaming smile on his face. It was the morning after the battle, and Wilhelm was still in battle dress. After all, his work was not over. Attending the meeting was: Major Aires, Princess Teila, Serina, Lady, Colonel Skull, Lieutennant Hess, and the four battalion commanders.

"Now, onto business." Wilhelm said as Aires unfurled a map.

"Now, my opinion that the best way to capitulate Bavaria would be to siege the capital

"Now, my opinion that the best way to capitulate Bavaria would be to siege the capital. Lady has informed me that Leopold is hunkered down there along with  all the leadership." Wilhelm explained.

"Once we have the capital, we can divide our forces and secure the rest of Bavaria's cities." Aires said.

"However, this does rely on none of the leadership trying to escape out seige." Serina pointed out.

"None of the nobility will want to escape. They are too arrogant to abandon the capital and too cowardly to break through our lines." Lady assured. "However, I fear Leopold has a few more cards to play." 

"What do you mean?" Colonel Skull asked hastily. 

"From what my spies tell me, Leopold still has a sizeable treasury. My agents already informed me of attempts by them to hire mercenaries to engage us." Lady informed.

"Major Aires." The major clicked the heels of his boots at attention to Wilhelm. "Send out our Dragoons ahead of the army to scout ahead. And have them report back if they see the enemy, promote Lieutennant Pius to Captain, and have him lead the scouting force."

"As you wish your majesty." The Major acknowledged.

"Oh, and have the main army ready to move out within an hour." Wilhelm ordered, Aires nodded and went out with his commanders. Before Wilhelm left, Teila got his attention.

"Wilhelm, may I ask why you don't send me and the Hussars out instead?" Teila asked.

"I have something else planned for you, don't worry. Pius' dragoons have rifles which are needed when fleeing from the enemy. Your Hussars are a shock cavalry, your jobs are to flank the enemy from their weakened positions." Wilhelm said, although Teila looked a little downhearted. "You did well yesterday Teila. Give your men one of these each." Wilhelm then took a box filled with second class Iron Crosses. "These are Iron Crosses: 2nd Class. For a single act of bravery during battle. Your unit have earned them." 

"Thank you, your majesty." Teila said, and bowed before leaving the tent. Wilhelm followed shortly after. At the same time Major Aires was brefing the newly promoted Captain Pius.