Chapter 22 - Uboat

Commodore Karla was standing on the Dock overlooking the harbour of the port city of Munich. This was the sight of Germany's first submarine bases. Wilhelm had insisted to keep the 'U' project top secret so Karla had ordered submarine pens built before the actual submarines arrived. Sure people saw the uboats go in and out of the harbour but no one knew what their purpose was.

Submarines, or Uboats by the German designatioqn. Silent hunters of the seas, capable of submerging under the water and destroying ships with torpedos. They were a revolutionary super weapon, capable of cutting of enemy imports and exports like a pair of scissors cutting paper. 

Karla then heard the rumbling of Wilhelm's staff car. Karla saluted as the Kaiser, in his naval uniform, as he and his ever faithfull bodyguard Serina exited the car. 

"Good afternoon mein Kaiser." Karla said.

"Good afternoon commodore. Munich has grown into a substantial port city. Excellent work, now I believe you have something to show me?" Wilhelm asked.

"Yes sir." Karla confirmed and took Wilhelm and Serina into a massive Uboat pen. 

Made of concrete, the pens were almost impervious against medieval weapons and even bombs struggled to break through the thick roof and walls

Made of concrete, the pens were almost impervious against medieval weapons and even bombs struggled to break through the thick roof and walls. Wilhelm and Serina walked through the corridors with German sailors saluted them as they passed. Karla and the Kaiser then opened a door and went inside a massive enclosed space. There, floating on the water was a type VII Uboat. 

"My Kaiser, this is the type VII class Uboat

"My Kaiser, this is the type VII class Uboat. One of three classes, this is the standard version that can be used for most missions. The type II is a smaller uboat class that can be used for coastal patrols and the type IX-D is a long range submarine for ranges the type VII's can't reach. All submarines are powered with diesel engines when on the surface which charges the electric engines to use when submerged." Karla explained as the three walked down the concrete stairs to the Uboat crew, stood at attention. "This is Commander Karl Doenitz, the most experienced submarine commander in the fleet." 

"At your disposal my Kaiser." Doenitz greeted and saluted the monarch.

"Thank you commander. Karla, this is truly a most interesting weapon we have developed and will surely give us an advantage over any sea force that will stand against us. I would like to inspect this weapon first hand, may we accompany the commander on a patrol?" Wilhelm asked. The crew started whispering in excitement of the Kaiser bording their ship.