Chapter 13 - Seige of Troyrenaille

The morale in the Prussian army was high, thanks to Wilhelm's profound battle tactics he had two victories under his belt and the Bavarian army on the run. Despite the Bavarian Hussar's origins they had gotten on well the Prussian regulars, cohesion was high and the army was marching straight towards the capital. With guns and canons in tow Wilhelm was in high spirits, Leopolds Imperial ambitions were foiled and Wilhelm's were being satisfired. 

Meanwhile, in Troyrenaile Leopold was gritting his teeth in frustration. His army was defeated in the first engagement, which reflected terribly on Leopold as he had been in personal command of the army. He had sacked his General, filling the position with Nobles. That seemed to be his only solution to his problems: let a Noble do it for him. Then of course Leopold had crippled his own treasury  by hireing mercenaries. They did little for him and came back not with victory, but with terrifying stories of Prussian soldiers. And the of course there was the betrayal, Teila. 

What Leopold felt went beyond words, even his own nobles had tried to warn him of Teila's treachery and now she had taken off with all of Bavaria's cavalry and had delivered them into Wilhelm's hands. It was all Leopold's fault, and there was nothing he could do to fix it. Wilhelm's weapons of war would even be scarred by Bavaria now, soon Wilhelm's army would run rampant through Bavarian lands. At that moment a Bavarian knight rushed in and bowed towards Leopold.

"What is it?" Leopold asked in annoyance.

"The Prussian army is in sight your majesty, and the Nobles have fled the city! What should we do?" The knight desperatley asked. 

"Stand firm, close the gates and defend the city." Leopold said worried. The knight nodded and ran back to the walls. Leopold knew that this would be his last stand. Back outside the walls, the Prussian army had stopped just outside the gates of Troyrenaile. 

"The Bavarians are fortifying the walls your majesty, what are your orders?" Major aires asked. 

"Unlimber the artillery, have each light artillery battery set up around the city to bombard the city centre from all sides. Heavy artillery will gather at a distance from the city gate and bombard the walls. Our infantry will encircle the city to prevent anyone from escaping and our cavalry will amass near the gates to charge in when the gates fall." Wilhelm ordered. 

"As you wish sire." Aires agreed, cliked his heels and went off to oversee the operation. Wilhelm then approached Serina who saluted.

"Serina, have your guard stick close to me alright. This seige may get messy, we may have to get the seige ladders out." Wilhelm said, he knew that the ladders were a dangerous way to scale the city walls. Still it was better than using a grappling iron and rope. 

"Of course your majesty." Serina confirmed. Wilhelm then stood watch near the gate as the rest of the army moblised into position. Stormtroopers met with the cavalry at the gate to reinfrorce the charge. 

"Artillery in position sir." Commander Camden reported.

"Open fire." Wilhelm said calmly. And once again the Prussian guns opened fire. The howitzer's shells flew into city, civillians scurried into their houses for safety and Bavarian troops scrambled for cover, shivering in fear. The heavy batteries were shelling the walls with great affect, so much so that a part of the wall near to the gate opened up. Just big enough for some men to get through. Wilhelm saw his chance.

"Stormtroopers! Into the breach!" Wilhelm shouted and the red-coated Stormtroopers yelled and flooded into the gap. The flamethrowers of the Stormtroopers burnt the Bavarian resistance. Leopold was horrified that his outer walls had been penetrated, he knew it wouldn't be long before the Stormtroopers opened the gates. And all those Prussian troops would storm the city.