Chapter 8: You're a freaking lunatic

"What's wrong?" His voice snapped 

"I-I don't know." The familiar voice cried. 

My eyes were heavy and my body ached. 

I sat up, my body protesting I cried out in pain as I opened my eyes and looked down at my aching bones. My arms and legs were decorated with the familiar black and blue marks. I gripped my ribs that screamed in protest for me to lay back down. 

"What happened." He asked lowly scanning my face and arms. I glanced at Belle and she gave me a sympathetic look. "You told him." I stated instead of asked, she nodded as tears brimmed her eyes. "I want to hear you tell me." I scoffed and glanced at him. "Why are you here, Ace?" I turned my head to look at him as my spine screamed in protest as well. 

"I came in and found you blacked out on the floor. I didn't know what to do." Belle cried and I sighed patting the bed for her to sit. "You need to get out of here." Belle whispered and my eyes glazed over with fresh tears. "You know I can't, it'll just be worse than before." I whispered and she shook her head standing up abruptly. "Goddamnit, Layne, I can't sit around and watch you get fucking beat every damn day by that woman!" She yelled and I shook my head. She laughed with no humor and shook her head. 

"I'll be back later." And with that she grabbed her bag and left. I sighed and shoved my head in my hands sealing my eyes closed to keep the tears in as the pain continued. "Stay with me." His voice made me look up. "What." He sighed and pushed off the wall. "You need to get out of here." He stated and I shook my head. He breathed out annoyed. 

"You can't stay here." He snapped and I laughed bitterly. "If I left she'd kill me." I glanced out the window and away from him. "She won't because you'll be with me." He threatened lowly. I sighed and went to stand up but my legs were sore from the beating and gave out. I sat back on the bed taking deep breathes. 

"We need to get you to the hospital." He stated with that same fucking blankness in his voice. I shook my head, "Are you a freaking lunatic?! No hospitals. I'm fine." My voice came out shaky from the pain. "Come on." He gripped beneath my elbow and pulled me up with force but not too much. 

I stood as my bones screamed in protest. I sat back on the bed with tears and a sigh. "It hurts too much." I shook my head and he looked over my legs and arms. "What all hurts." I laughed dryly. "Everything." 

He looked at my face searching my eyes for something. "Layne." He said pointedly and I let out a breath as my ribs started sending sharp jolts through my body as well as my spine. He walked closer to me and tugged my shirt, "take it off." I looked at him and nodded pulling the hem of it up and over my head gripping onto it from the pain.

His eyes scanned over my darkened ribs. He drew his eyebrows together. "You have scars here." He traced the tiny but deep scars. I nodded and he looked up at me. "She did this to you." He sounded upset but didn't look like it. This was going to piss me off. I nodded nevertheless. 

He went around and looked at my spine and traced it. I stiffened from the pain and a few silent tears fell. "Your spine, something's wrong." He stated, eyebrows drawn together concentration and determination sketched on his face. 

He walked to my closet pulled out shorts and put my legs in them. "Lift." He stated when he got them up to the backs of my knees. I pulled up groaning in pain and he sighed. He pulled them up as I clutched his shoulders for dear life. I bent my head down and shoved my face into his shoulder. 

Breathing heavy and tears rolling down my face. He grabbed behind my knees and lifted me, supporting my head and shoving my big shirt in his back pocket. He rushed out the house and I had tears rolling down. He glanced down at me, "no hospitals, huh?" he questioned and I nodded.

 "No hospitals." I confirmed and he chuckled a little. "Today's your lucky day then." I laughed bitterly. "I'm not feeling very lucky." He glanced down at me and rolled his eyes as he set me down quickly. 

"Put this on for a second." He handed me my shirt and I nodded shoving it over my head and left my arms on the inside. My body was protesting every move I made. Ace was holding me in place making sure I wouldn't fall and as my arms dangled in the shirt, he picked me up again. He ran into his house carrying me bridal style. 

"Mom?!" He called out through the empty house. "Mom!" He called louder running through the den room to the kitchen. When we got in there she gasped covering her eyes. "Please I do not want to walk in on you and one of your little 'friends' again. Just go to your room!" She pleaded and I chuckled. Ace shook his head at his mom. 

"Mom I need help." He stated and she uncovered her eyes. He sat me on the island and his mom sent him a questioning look. Ace ripped off my shirt and his mom gasped covering her eyes again. "Mom." He groaned. 

"Look." He groaned again becoming annoyed. His mom looked at me and over my bruised body. "What happened?!" She shrieked running around the kitchen. "You should be going to the hospital, young lady." 

is she going to lecture me? Great.

"She doesn't like hospitals." Ace explained and she nodded I glanced at Ace and he answered my awaiting question. "She's a doctor."