Chapter 30: This Is (Not) A Fairytale Ending.

It's been a week since the whole blow up thing with Lylia and Ace and I finding out about the adoption papers that were called off, thankfully.

So that leaves us here. We were all sitting at our lunch table inside, considering it's been getting considerably cold outside lately with winter fast approaching soon. It's been four months since school started and only seven more to go- thank God.

Ace has been more weird ever since yesterday and I don't know what's with him, I just know that it's bad. I can feel it, you know? Ever have the moments when you just know something is going to tear you apart inside?

I kind of got lost in my own thoughts while looking at Ace laugh with our friends, but it was like he wasn't fully there anyways. 

"Layne?" I snapped my head to her voice and met her confused face. I just shook my head and smiled and simply nudged my head to Ace showing her I was worried about him. She nodded in understanding and went into question about if we wanted to hangout.

I went to agree but Tyler quickly interrupted. "There's a party tonight if you guys are up for it." Belle started to agree immediately.

"Yeah, we should. I am in some serious need of alcohol right about now." The guys nodded in agreement and I just rolled my eyes while laughing. 

"And Layne, it'll totally be good for changing your rep up some more, you know?" I shrugged and picked up a fry agreeing. "I suppose." And with that we all got lost in conversation again.

I turned my head and looked out the window of the cafe and into the meadows. I wasn't really thinking about anything as I sat slouched in my seat, hand over my mouth thinking about the next few weeks. 

I turn eighteen extremely soon and right before my eighteenth birthday, is my dads. My dads birthday is always the hardest for me. I don't think anything could hurt me more than having to visit my dad on his birthday. Maybe because he just isn't here to actually celebrate it with.

"What're you thinking about?" I jumped startled and turned to face Ace and when our eyes met, mine flickered down to his lips and back to his eyes. I smiled and grabbed his face in my hands. He closed his eyes and leaned forward so his forehead was against mine.

Our table was quiet and I only assumed our friends left to give us some more privacy. "You up for tonight?" He whispered and I sighed closing my eyes too. "Yeah, I guess. It could be fun, plus it gets us out of the house." Ace chuckled and I pulled away as he started to nod.

"Moms been extra careful now that she knows." I laughed too and nodded along with him, my way of agreeing with him. The bell sounded above us and Ace sighed grabbing my hand as we stood, ready to go to our next class.

We grabbed our trays and discarded them as we walked out the doors leading to the building our classes were in. My room was down the hall from his and we started to part our ways. 

He kissed me quickly and let my hand fall I rolled my eyes and turned to my designated room, throwing a hand over my shoulder and waved, when I felt a stinging across my butt. I yelped and grabbed my cheeks turning around to find my culprit leaning casually against his classroom door, biting his lip looking at me. 

I rolled my eyes and narrowed them as he laughed and walked up to me grabbing my waist and pulling me closer to him I laughed and placed my hands on his chest as I leaned up to kiss him. He flashed me a grin and whispered into my ear, "you didn't actually say bye, so that deserved a punishment." I laughed loudly as the warning bell sounded. 

"Okay, I gotta go." I tried to leave, but he wouldn't let me and I laughed as I tried to turn away. I got loose and turned to walk away, not before flashing him a grin and yelling a much too loud 'bye'. I smiled as I heard his laugh start to fade.