Gang Imagine: Barrel Run

"Good boy" I brush Rowdy's coat and hair. (I hope someone gets the reference)

"We're next" I said trying to even out his mane and tail. I put a couple of braids in his main, and put one braid in his tail, the excess hair flowed behind it. I heard a few chants from behind me.

"Hey Cowgirl!" Soda came over to me and gave me a hug, then evened out Rowdy's forelock.

"Hey guys!" I said, walking closer while running my hand over Rowdy's coat.

"You gonna do great!" Johnny came and gave me a hug.

"Beat their asses!" Ponyboy cried

"Show em what you're made of!" Two-bit encouraged

"Kick their little sorry asses!" Dally played and laughed along, then gave Rowdy a firm pet and rubbed his ear. (Please just PLEASE someone get my reference!)

"Drive that thing like there ain't no tomorrow!" Steve referred to a car, as expected

"Steve, you direct/ handle them! Not drive them!"

"Do your best y/n! We know you can win!" Darry gave me words of affirmation and a kiss on the forehead.

"Thanks guys" I looked back over at Rowdy, who had an embroidered sunflower saddle pad, along with the bridal, chest collar, head stall, and reins. I gave him a kiss on his wet nose. His saddle was a western saddle, with a high seat and a skinny saddle horn, specifically made for Barrel racing. I then placed my dirty boot in the stirrup and swung my other leg over. I shifted around to get comfortable and ready. I gave the gang a nervous and exited sigh and nudged Rowdy into a slow trot, to the alley to start.

"Next up is Y/n Y/l/n and her horse Rowdy." The crows nest intercom announced. And with that the gate opened. Rowdy started to leap to the side in excitement and then took off in a sprint. His ears pinned back, big puffs snort out his nose. I exhaled a deep breath, adrenaline pumping through my small veins as he ran straight to the first barrel.

"Hooeee- Aye! Schhh!" I clicked my tongue in various commands as we went around the first barrel. He slid around it and my boot hit the ground with how low he swerved. As he swerved, I held onto the horn for extra support. "Thats one!" He whinnied in response.

"Go Y/n!!!" I heard Two-bit yell from the other gate. I kept clicking my tongue to make Rowdy give it all he got around the next barrel. I glanced at the clock mid whistle, 7.4 so far! We're doing great!

"C'mon Rowdy!" I guided him to the top and last barrel. My beige hat flew off, landing right beside the barrel, letting my curled hair fly around my face. I got so distracted with that, so Rowdy got lost and skinned the barrel. It was slowly tipping over, but I placed a firm hand on it. I pushed it back to its original position. I couldn't let a barrel fall! This is our best run yet! I can't add a .5 second onto my timing!

"That's 3! Now home plate!" I spurred Rowdy and gave him a whip. His ears still pinned back, he whinnied and snorted. He was exited. I whipped him one more time. I heard the crowd roar as we finished the run. I trotted him to the gate to re-enter the pin. I heard whoops and cheers from the gang as I entered through the gate.

"Y/n and her horse, Rowdy hold the new Rodeo record at a 16.4! That leaves the two in first place!" The intercom announced and the crowd roared once again. I whooped and swung my leg over to get off of Rowdy. I gave him firm and fast pets and kisses.

"That's what I'm talking about!" I laughed and gave him multiple kisses on his wet nose. A rodeo employee came over and gave me my hat and a 'congratulations'.

"HELL YA Y/N Y/L/N!! THATS HOW YOU DO IT!" Soda erupted with excitement, earning a few glares from the other barrel racers. But they soon started to swoon over him.

"We knew you could do it!" Ponyboy gave me a hug and a rub on the arm.

"We are really proud of you Y/N!" Darry gave me a rub on the back.

"Nice run y/n/n!" Johnny and I did our special hand shake.

"Good goin' kid" Dally gave me a signature smirk. Two-bit and Steve were whooping and laughing as a way of day 'that was good!"

"This was a good day"

———————————————-

Should I make more 'Rodeo' imagines?