Chapter Four

"Are you crazy? Talking to someone doesn't change your feelings for another," said Renée with disbelief.

"Yes, I'm crazy. You won't talk to or smile at Matt," gritted out Sawyer.

"Leave my hand Sawyer. You're hurting me." Renée glared at him and his iron-like grip on her hand. Sawyer released her hand reluctantly.

"Are you going back to Matt?" He asked with an incredulous look on his face.

"No, why should I?" She glared at him, and then went to Rihanna's room to escape Sawyer. She couldn't understand why he was so worked up over who she talked to and who she didn't.

Sawyer saw her going to Rihanna's room and heaved a sigh of relief. He and Rex sat down in the living room, watching Ryder's friends go one by one. It was dinnertime and everyone tucked into the delicious food.

"Renée made the cheesy peas tonight," said aunt Katherine. Sawyer's eyes widened, and he served himself more.

"Do you like it?" asked his mom with a knowing look on her face. Sawyer nodded, his cheeks colored at her implication. So did Renée's. Did his mom know?

"So, Ryder, do you take back your words, then?" asked aunt Katherine.

"Absolutely! Hey Renée, I'm sorry. Okay?" said Ryder with a grin. The whole meal, Renée avoided looking at Sawyer, knowing that he was staring at her.

For the next few days, Renée, Ryan, and Ryder were busy helping her with the admission formalities. She was selected into the Undergraduate Program in psychology at the Great Falls College under Montana State University. Ryan and Ryder studied there, and they knew the procedures better.

The next day Rhett saved a girl Adelaide from Bearhead Creek, and he was smitten with her. He needed Ryder, Ryan and Sawyer's help to look for her missing bracelet, which had fallen into the river. So they all rode to Bearhead Creek and to the riverside, where Rhett led them to. They scanned the banks first before going into the water. Even after twenty minutes of search, they didn't find it. They were about to give up when Sawyer dived under the water.

"Leave it Saw, the water's freezing," said Rhett, concerned that he would fall sick.

Sawyer emerged with a victorious grin on his face, holding out a shimmering, delicate diamond bracelet on his palm. "Found it, bro." Rhett grinned and took it from his hand.

"Thanks, Saw. You deserve a treat for this." They all climbed out and wore their clothes and galloped away towards Wild Creek Ranch to change out of their wet clothes. Their granny stared at them with horror.

"Quickly, get out of the wet clothes. I'll get you all hot chocolate."

"Granny, please not hot chocolate. We want coffee," said Ryder with an eye roll.

"What's in coffee? Hot chocolate's therapeutic," said aunt Katherine, rolling her eyes at him. Ryder grinned at her. He hated milk in all forms.

"Aunt Kathy, hot chocolate's for kids."

"I'll have hot chocolate, ma," said Sawyer, as a sneeze escaped him. Everyone looked at him with concern. His nose and face were flushed red and he could sense his temperatures coming up.

"Goodness, boy, hurry and change. I'll come down with your hot chocolate," said his ma. They all hurried inside to their rooms to freshen up and change out of their clothes.

Rihanna came home with her appointment letter. She had got the job of a primary school teacher at the nearby Bloomingdale Elementary School. She danced to her heart's content with excitement. Her first job!