Chapter Thirty-Three

The next morning, Sawyer felt a little better with medicine, steam inhalations and the nourishing food that his mom had made for him. For years, he had taken care of her and now that she had got the chance to take care of him; she did it with all her heart. Sawyer simply let her without complaining.

Sawyer noticed how happy she was to take care of him. He realized he wasn't an orphan any longer. He had a parent now who cared a lot for him and siblings of his own, too. In fact, he was the luckiest person alive to have two families to call his own, two moms who loved him and many brothers and sisters who loved him unconditionally.

"How are you feeling now, Sawyer?" asked his mom. Sawyer nodded with a faint smile.

"Better mom."

"Antonio thinks you have pneumonia, but the reports haven't arrived yet. He'll go to the clinic at eleven o'clock to collect them. Then we can start with your treatment," said his mom.

"I'm already better, mom," he protested. His mom shook her head.

"No, you're not. Lie down and rest. I've called your dad, Kevin Wilson, and he would be here later to take you home with him," said his mom. Sawyer sat up, shocked by what she just told him.

"You called dad? How did you get his number? What did he say? Was he angry with me?" asked Sawyer, looking agitated as well as excited. He couldn't believe that his dad was really coming to get him.

"Yes, I did. I found his number saved on your phone. I should have done this a long time ago, but I didn't know that you have a girl waiting for you, Sawyer. You never told me a thing," she complained.

"There was nothing to tell, mom. She moved on after I left. She might have married someone else by now," he said with a dejected look in his eyes.

"Does she love you as much as you love her?" asked his mom.

"Yes," he breathed.

"Then I'm sure that she hasn't moved on. She's still waiting for you to return to her. It's not so easy to marry another person if you love someone truly with all your heart," said his mom.

"Do you think so?" Sawyer asked with hope. His mom nodded.

"Yes, I'm sure of it. Trust me, go back home and talk to her, apologize for hurting her and everything would be fine," said his mom. "You shouldn't have disappeared on them, son. They love you so much. You should have kept in touch with them," said his mom.

Sawyer nodded. She was right. Her words gave him hope. Hope that Renée might still wait for him. He knew that he should have called and informed them about his whereabouts. He remembered his mom, Kathy Wilson. She might be heartbroken, too. He felt guilty for hurting her.

"What did dad say?" he asked again. His mom told him about her conversation with Kevin Wilson.

"Now rest while I pack your stuff and keep it ready," said his mom. Sawyer closed his eyes and lay down, but he couldn't sleep. His heart was thundering in his chest. The prospect of meeting Renée was too overwhelming to ignore. His mom hummed a sweet and melodious tune as she packed his stuff. Her voice, her presence in his room, calmed him and lulled him to a deep sleep.

When he woke up after three hours, he felt much better. He took a quick shower and changed his clothes, feeling fresh already. Antonio came into his room.

"Your dad, your uncle and grandfather are here, Sawyer. They've come here to take you home," said Antonio.

"Oh, when did they arrive?" asked Sawyer, his heart beating fast.

"It's been an hour already," said Antonio.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" asked Sawyer, feeling guilty.