Chapter Thirty-Four

The next few days, everyone was busy with Rhett and Adelaide's wedding preparations while Sawyer rested and slept in his room. He was surprised at how much he could sleep. It was as if his body was trying to catch up on five years of sleeplessness. His familiar bed, the cozy comfort and the delicious food that his mom fed him with her own hands as if he was a baby, made him more relaxed and his body recovered nicely.

However, whenever he was awake, his eyes searched for the love of his life, Renée, but every time, he was disappointed. She never appeared before him. It seemed as if she didn't live here any longer. He tried to ask his mom many times, but she just nodded.

"Give her a little time, Saw. She's in a state of shock," said his mom. He had already received calls from Antonio and Lara many times ever since he had returned home. Even his siblings spoke to him, telling him they missed him. He spoke to everyone except the only one person who he came back home for. Sawyer wasn't allowed to go to work, and he spent the next few days trying to gain his strength back.

Renée always hid in Rihanna's room or in the backyard, the few times when Sawyer was around. She just wasn't ready to face him yet. She was still hurt that he forgot her for the last five years. He even forgot his promise to her. He had promised that he would never leave her, he would fight for her.

Even if he went to see his real mom, he could have at least called her and informed her? She was numb with the pain in her heart, which refused to understand what compulsion he could have for not talking to her.

So the days went by and finally it was the wedding day. The bridal party went to Adelaide's house to get ready. Afterwards, when it was time, they arrived at the sprawling lawns of Wild Creek Ranch where the wedding ceremony was to be held.

With the backdrop of the greenhouse and garden, a wedding arch was set up on Wild Creek ranch, right next to the creek. Coral flowy fabric was tied at one side, with the other side being decorated with beautiful white carnations and roses, accentuated with splashes of coral peonies and ferns.

The white aisle runner, the white chairs all created a beautiful contrast in the green haven. Coral pew bows were tied at the ends. They used the same floral combinations as Adelaide's bridal bouquet to give the whole place a matching and coordinated look.

Rihanna, Adelaide and the others teased and joked with one another as they strolled towards the wedding arch. Renée loved the romantic setup. It was the first wedding at home and she couldn't help but sigh, wishing that it was her wedding instead.

Lost in own thoughts, she didn't notice a pair of brilliant blue eyes watching her from near the altar. After going bat-shit crazy the last few days for just a look at her, Sawyer finally saw her today.

She looked more curvy, more feminine, more alluring than ever. The light coral, off-shoulder dress clung to her body, accentuating her curves while her long hair cascaded down their shoulders, blown away from her face with the soft breeze. She walked with an inherent grace, unaware of his presence, lost in her own thoughts. She looked like a freshly bloomed flower, ready to be plucked and cherished for life.

As if sensing his presence, Renée looked up, straight into his eyes. For a moment, time stood still as her doe-shaped hazel eyes connected with his brilliant blue ones. Sawyer noted that this time, the look of admiration that he had always seen in her eyes for him was replaced by pain. He saw the thousand questions mirrored there. Questions that she needed answers to. Sawyer couldn't look away.

The procession started and the wedding ceremony began, but he was transfixed to his seat, watching Renée instead of the ceremony. Sawyer wanted to tell her how much he still loved her. He wanted to tell her he didn't wish to break his promise to her. He wanted to hold her close to his heart, but he just sat watching.

Renée glanced in his direction now, and then, his eyes drawing her to him. She wanted to hug him close, to demand the answers to her questions and to know whether he missed her but couldn't. The wedding ceremony was finally over and they all went to freshen up for the reception ceremony. Rihanna, Renée, and Raine would perform a group dance after the first dance, and they had to get ready for their show. Sawyer dejectedly saw her hurrying away after the ceremony was over. Whatever he wanted to tell her remained in his heart as he watched her helplessly.

He wandered over to the reception venue, where an enormous tent was constructed outside a vacant barn house to provide more space for everyone. The barn had been freshly painted with twinkle lights and rope lights wrapped along the beams, as well as the pillars. Lanterns were hung from the rafters at regular intervals. Two vast tables were placed face to face to accommodate everyone. Coral floral centerpieces were placed over the white table runners. The bar and the dance floor were at the tent and everyone was helping themselves to the Hors d'oeuvres along with the signature wedding drink when Renée entered along with the others. Sawyer sat with Ryder, sipping a glass of water as he watched Renée like a hawk.

Everyone sat down at the table, getting ready for the toasts and the speeches. Afterwards, a lavish dinner was spread out for them. They all tucked in. Sawyer couldn't yet interact with Renée as she sat at the far end of the table with the bridesmaids.

After lunch, Renée and the girls geared up for their dance performance, which would start after the first dance. Sawyer sat quietly in a corner. He wasn't well and wasn't allowed to drink. Aunt Katherine sat with him, giving him company. It was clear he needed to go and rest, but with Renée here, he wouldn't go inside.

The music started and everyone cheered as Rhett pulled Adelaide for the first dance. 'Amazed' by Lonestar started playing, and Rhett and Adelaide slowly danced to the music in perfect synchronization.

Afterwards the girls lined up to perform to 'Only girl (In The World)' by Rihanna. The boys cheered and clapped for the outstanding performance. Later, Renée walked up to Sawyer when the others were busy with the boys' performance led by Rhett.

Sawyer watched her as if hypnotized. "You need to rest, Sawyer," she said, catching hold of his hand and pulling him to his feet. He didn't object, but just followed her like a lost puppy. She led him to his room. She went to his closet and took out his sweatpants and tee shirt and placed them into his hands. He didn't ask a single question, but just started stripping out of his clothes. Renée turned around with her back towards him as he changed.

He sat down on his bed, still watching her like she would disappear if he closed his eyes. Renée covered him, but he caught her hand before she could leave.

"Let go, Sawyer," she said hoarsely, her voice choked with tears.

"Never," he said, his voice thick with emotion.

"Lies," she said, quietly, trying to break free, but Sawyer held her hand in a solid grip and she couldn't leave.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, his eyes searching hers. Renée shook her head vehemently.

"No, sorry doesn't count, Sawyer. How could you just disappear for five years? I've realized one thing in these five years. You don't care about me," she said, looking at him with sadness and pain in her eyes.

Sawyer's eyes filled with tears.

"I couldn't return to you even if I wanted to, Renée. I pulled my mom from the brink of death. The circumstances were such that for two years, life was a battle for me out there. When I finally wanted to return to you, I saw Matt's post on social media. I was devastated, Ren. I thought you were marrying Matt. For the next three years, I was living like a corpse, neglecting my health. I just couldn't get over the heartache. Finally, my promise to my mom was fulfilled, and I ensured that their debt was paid off and I returned home. Mom called dad when I was sick." Renée sat down beside him.

"I know that you've gone through a lot, Sawyer, but couldn't you make one phone call to me? Couldn't you just inform me you're safe? I thought I lost you forever," she said as tears fell from her eyes. Her voice was choked and she couldn't utter a single word. She broke down completely. Sawyer sat up and pulled her into his arms.

"I'm sorry Ren. Yes, I should have called you. I hope you can forgive me," he pleaded as they both wept in each other's arms.