Chapter Thirteen

It was evening and Renée was about to get ready to go to Anastasia's house when she saw an excited Ryder striding out of his room wearing his favorite tee shirt.

"What? You're not ready yet? Hurry," he said, pulling a strand of her hair as he walked past her.

"Where are you off to wearing that?" asked Renée curiously. 'Please God! Don't make him come along with me,' she prayed in her mind.

"Why? Didn't your friend tell you she has invited me too?" asked Ryder with surprise. Renée's jaws dropped.

"No way. You might have invited yourself over." Renée walked away towards her room, feeling frustrated. Ryder chuckled since his sister knew him too well.

"Whatever, I'm going. Be ready in five minutes. We'll go together," he yelled after her, going to the living room to wait for her.

Afterward, when Renée walked out of her room, she saw Sawyer standing broodingly, leaning in the doorway to the dining room, looking at her with a look of longing in his eyes. His piercing eyes scanned her from top to bottom, taking in the black dress that she was wearing. It made her skin look creamier; her legs smoother and longer and the figure-hugging dress clung to her figure, making her look so delicious that he could hold her in his arms forever!

The whole family was getting ready to go out, and he looked so lonely that Renée didn't wish to go anywhere, leaving him alone at home. There were people to look after Ebony. So she had no idea why he didn't go to dinner with their family.

She walked up to him instead of following Ryder out. "Come with me, Sawyer? Even Ryder's going," she coaxed him. His eyes widened like a child's, as if he had been wanting to go with her.

"I don't want to be an unwanted guest."

"You won't be. We'll be picking up some gifts for her from the marketplace. Just give her a little gift and she'll be happy." She caught hold of his hand to pull him along, but Sawyer caught her soft hand in his and walked out with her.

"Ma, I'm going with Ryder and Ren," he yelled as they left. "Are you sure that you want me to go with you? I'm not adequately dressed, Ren. You'll be ashamed of me." he looked at his jeans and a plain white tee shirt.

"Shut up, Sawyer. You look good in anything you wear," she said with an eye roll. A slow grin spread on Sawyer's face on hearing her.

"You too are coming along, bro?" asked Ryder with a grin.

"Yeah, I forced him to come along. He'd be bored all alone at home," said Renée with a shrug. Renée sat in the passenger seat while Sawyer sat with Ryder in front. They first went to a gift shop to buy something for Anastasia.

"Have you noticed that the man isn't around today?" asked Renée, as they checked out the gifts.

"Yeah, I noticed. Why don't you go ahead to Anastasia's house? I'll just ask around and join you." Renée shook her head.

"No, Sawyer. It could be dangerous. We'll all go to inquire about him. There's no hurry to get to Ana's house. We have time." Sawyer nodded. There was no winning against his Ren. She might be young, but she was a stubborn little thing.

"Okay, I won't go alone. You can get the gifts packed while Ryder and I inquire around." He loved the way she cared for him.

So they quickly paid for the stuff they bought and while Renée got them gift-wrapped, Ryder and Sawyer went to inquire about the strange man.

"You should have informed Uncle Kevin and grand dad, Saw. He could be dangerous, you know," said Ryder after hearing about the strange man.

"I will. Let me first get to know who he is and what he wants from me." They walked to the motel diagonally opposite the gift shop and asked the receptionist about the strange man. Sawyer described him. Since they were local boys and she knew Joe Wilson well, she agreed to help them.